• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

California Millet?

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I went to a pet shop that I had never visited and their whole thing was they had wholesale prices. They had the same toy brands that other stores had and they sold parrots and everyone looked fine and healthy. I was actually in the market for bird feed but they didn't really have anything for small birds so I ended buying millet. It was a pretty large bag for $10. Both budgies loved it and because we were traveling I put a millet spray in their cage and throughout the week we gave them the millet as treats when we handle them. But then I realized their bowel movements were off. Longer, darker, and dryer than normal. I wasn't sure if they were sick or if it was the millet so we removed it from their diet and they're back to normal.
Does anyone know why their bowel movements changed? Was it maybe more iron? Is it safe to consume?
It also made their beaks super shiny like it was more fatty than their regular miller.

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
For reference the small one is their usual millet and the large one is the new one I bought.

Attachments

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
The pet store by me sells those huge millet sprays as well, but I usually stick to the smaller stuff.

That is a lot of millet for just two budgies. Thats probably why the look and color of their droppings changed. Millets are good as a treat every now n then, but dont give it to them as their primary food. Switch them back to their old diet and they should be fine again.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I prefer California millet! Love those big golden orbs!

Anything new to the diet can affect it. It's not always a bad thing, just a change. It's possible that they were eating more of it than usual... Drier food in equals drier food out.