• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

California cage safe or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
So I found what I thought was a great cage,I looked it up online and found this Malibu California Cage - Presented by BirdsComfort.com and this Bird Cage Unique Features - Presented by BirdsComfort.com Made in the USA sounds great right?! Went to look at the cage and it looked just like what was pictured in the links above and it was in fantastic shape so I paid $100 (cheap for Juneau,Alaska) for it and ran home and started scrubbing it down only to find a sticker that says made in Mexico. Are there kits I can buy to test the paint and see if there is lead or zinc in it? Am I worrying over nothing? It's a nice sturdy cage and it will really suck if I can't let the birds use it.

I'm confused now on the safety of this cage and I am wondering if anyone happens to know anything about the cages being made in Mexico when they are advertised as being made in the USA. I'm scared because I know they don't have as high of standards when it comes to manufacturing things.

Here are some pics of the cage I took tonight:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
California Cages are made in Mexico-- a lot of people thought that they were made in the USA when they were still in production because they advertised them as NOT being made in the Orient, but they were still not made in the USA. That being said, however, they have a really great reputation for being safe! You can definitely get the paint tested if you are worried, but I have heard a ton of great feedback about California Cages.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
That cage is perfectly fine. My friend has one similar. I would love to have one like that.

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't think I would worry, Cali cages have a wonderful reputation and will be sorly missed now that they are out of business. We have several at the rescue up the road (the extra large macaw cages, I believe its the santa maria?) and it it a really great cage! Weve never had any problems with paint as they have had bar chewers.. lol with no ill effects.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Whew that's a weight off my shoulder! It's a very nice HEAVY duty cage,I lugged that badboy up two flights of stairs by myself last night because I was so excited to get it cleaned and ready to go. I'm glad I don't have to haul it back down lol.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Although they were made in Mexico, wasnt it a U.S company that was making them? Maybe thats what the advertising meant.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Although they were made in Mexico, wasnt it a U.S company that was making them? Maybe thats what the advertising meant.
Yes, that's correct-- that's probably what they meant :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would kill for a California Cage at this point! I know that they used to advertise that their powder coatings would never go above 11ppm for zinc. I had one of my Kings European cages tested with Reggie's zinc scare and that came back at 13ppm. Nothing to be worried about but higher than Cal's Cage promise of 11ppm. My HQ cage came back at 240ppm which is barely acceptable for humans. I swear, they don't make cages like that anymore. I think you got a good cage, especially if you've got a bird who doesn't chew on the powder coating.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Items that are made in Mexico are pretty safe. They have pretty good quality control from what I have heard.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
LOL the lovies are all fighting over who gets the cage:excited3: I'm glad they like it! I have a big flight cage and they all prefer their original smaller cages. I wish I could get more this size,they really seem to like it and I love how the top has the playpen with a pull out drawer so the top of the cage is covered and curious lovie toes are safe!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
LOL the lovies are all fighting over who gets the cage:excited3: I'm glad they like it! I have a big flight cage and they all prefer their original smaller cages. I wish I could get more this size,they really seem to like it and I love how the top has the playpen with a pull out drawer so the top of the cage is covered and curious lovie toes are safe!
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.