• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calcium Supplements

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
Besides calcium rich foods, does adding a calcium supplement for birds during breeding time really make a difference. I also use cuttlebones, clay blocs, mineral grit that disolves and even diatoaceous earth.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I find that calcium is best in liquid form. I buy from my vet, but others have had good luck with the liquid formulations from Morning Bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Calcium is only one aspect of nutrition. They need all the vitamins, minerals and trace elements, along with amino acids and the like in the proper proportions in order for each of them to be utilized. If you are going to supplement a bird it must be with a "complete" supplement that provides this things.

My preferred product.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Calcium is only one aspect of nutrition. They need all the vitamins, minerals and trace elements, along with amino acids and the like in the proper proportions in order for each of them to be utilized. If you are going to supplement a bird it must be with a "complete" supplement that provides this things.

My preferred product.

@JLcribber but, with the smaller birds like canaries and finches - we also have to supplement with calcium (extra). Hence the question. :)

@Fife3000 YES it makes a huge difference. Like I've only ever had one egg bound hen. Some people fight that continually.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@JLcribber but, with the smaller birds like canaries and finches - we also have to supplement with calcium (extra). Hence the question. :)

@Fife3000 YES it makes a huge difference. Like I've only ever had one egg bound hen. Some people fight that continually.
Calcium does not absorb and therefore not utilized unless the other proportions of things like phosphorus are present.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Calcium does not absorb and therefore not utilized unless the other proportions of things like phosphorus are present.
Correct. The ratio has to be exactly 2:1. Most ‘calcium’ supplements contain other minerals as well, I’m told.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is this something that would help pellet resistant male budgies or is it only for hens? Sounds kind of like a multivitamin, which could be useful.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is this something that would help pellet resistant male budgies or is it only for hens? Sounds kind of like a multivitamin, which could be useful.
Definitely useful!