• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caiques Get An Unfair Reputation

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Omg you're caiques are so beautiful! How old is the white bellied caique? Also do you agree with what I was saying in my post?
Thank you!
She’s my oldest at 16. She came to me with a messed up foot and had her wings clipped all her life. Can you imagine living with only one of 4 limbs working?
We’ve grown out her wings but she likes to run on the floor.
I agree that people say some negative things - you should see the FB forums, they can be really negative! The reason is that people buy them without knowing how to handle them. A caique that is kept in a small cage with little stimulation and no out time is going to be miserable and exhibit bad behavior. People are trying to discourage the impulse buy, I think.
So I agree but I see the reasoning.
You have caiques; do any of yours misbehave, like attack people?

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
I have read negative things online about caiques, quakers, (and cockatoos, sometimes amazons). Hormones are commonly mentioned. That being said, My local bird store particularly loves both caiques and quakers. I see those, especially quakers, very often.
Even my own birds have proved assumptions wrong. My budgie Mark is social and handle-able. My cockatiel is the opposite. Some online sources would say cockatiels are sweet, and budgies are flighty. It is all relative. I think researching can help you have an idea which kind of parrot you like, but nothing compares to actually meeting different species. Parrots can also change due to environment. I have been told, and seen, how a bird in a new household can change.

I hope that didn't come out too jumbled. tldr I just think every bird is different, whether they fit a stereotype or completely deny it. They are all special.

I agree 100%...

Thanks for reading

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
Thank you!
She’s my oldest at 16. She came to me with a messed up foot and had her wings clipped all her life. Can you imagine living with only one of 4 limbs working?
We’ve grown out her wings but she likes to run on the floor.
I agree that people say some negative things - you should see the FB forums, they can be really negative! The reason is that people buy them without knowing how to handle them. A caique that is kept in a small cage with little stimulation and no out time is going to be miserable and exhibit bad behavior. People are trying to discourage the impulse buy, I think.
So I agree but I see the reasoning.
You have caiques; do any of yours misbehave, like attack people?

My two caiques are very friendly and will play with anyone although I gotta admit as of lately my WB caique has been getting just a tad bit beaky with me when I pick him up he will test my fingers with his beaks and give me a light pinch before stepping up it just started happening the last 2weeks other then that both my WB and black headed caique will always run to play with me and get excited wanting to come out of their cage and be on my shoulders or on top of my head..

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Legend88

Have you ever owned an adult bird? Or a hormonal bird? I did go back and read several forum posts, and to me the people experiencing issues with their caiques were having issues with ADULT birds, that may have been experiencing hormonal challenges.

You have little baby birds right now. All babies are mostly wonderful. As they grow and develop and change, babies of any species of bird can present less than ideal behaviors.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
@Legend88

Have you ever owned an adult bird? Or a hormonal bird? I did go back and read several forum posts, and to me the people experiencing issues with their caiques were having issues with ADULT birds, that may have been experiencing hormonal challenges.

You have little baby birds right now. All babies are mostly wonderful. As they grow and develop and change, babies of any species of bird can present less than ideal behaviors.

It also depends on if they had the birds since they were babies or if they are rescues , like I said I am sure caiques go through a faze as they get older just like any other parrot and humans nobody is perfect parrots included, But caiques are still wonderful birds to own rather it's your first bird or 10th bird , research and preparation is key..

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It also depends on if they had the birds since they were babies or if they are rescues , like I said I am sure caiques go through a faze as they get older just like any other parrot and humans nobody is perfect parrots included, But caiques are still wonderful birds to own rather it's your first bird or 10th bird , research and preparation is key..
I don’t want to seem controversial or argumentative towards you. You have hinted that you felt your contributions were not respected as valid (or thereabouts) on a different thread so I am being cautious towards you now.

That disclaimer made; on to my advice.

There are many birds who are perfect babies but then grow up to not be happy in their home situations. Buying a baby bird does not ensure that bird is going to bond to you- it may not even like you at adulthood. And the myth that “hand feeding your baby” ensures a better bond? Not only is it a lie, but rather a vicious one at that.

You can read through the many threads; It’s heart wrenching to have someone who raised their baby now dealing with a bird that draws blood. A bird that is lashing out. A bird that now needs different food and more dark quiet time. A bird that now is showing hatred towards hair color or human gender. A bird that may even be best rehomed if things are severe. Those original authors are in purgatory because their beautiful little sweet baby (who they’ve always done what’s best for) now no longer wants anything to do with them. Your oversimplification of birds reaching hormonal apex as “a phase” that your bird may or may not go through scares me because it sounds as if you either don’t believe your birds will or that if your birds do they won’t change because you didn’t rescue them— which is utterly maddening.

Anyone who has never owned an adult bird can do as much reading, interviewing, and preparation as they can but still not be adept at handling that situation in person. It’s one thing to read what the best thing to do if your bird is acting poorly, but another entirely to be able to swiftly implement it.

And you will be having two birds!, two different personalities!, going through this at the same time. And you’re talking about adding two more! so you can have multiple breeding pairs. Slow down, breathe. You don’t even have an avian veterinarian yet!

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
I don’t want to seem controversial or argumentative towards you. You have hinted that you felt your contributions were not respected as valid (or thereabouts) on a different thread so I am being cautious towards you now.

That disclaimer made; on to my advice.

There are many birds who are perfect babies but then grow up to not be happy in their home situations. Buying a baby bird does not ensure that bird is going to bond to you- it may not even like you at adulthood. And the myth that “hand feeding your baby” ensures a better bond? Not only is it a lie, but rather a vicious one at that.

You can read through the many threads; It’s heart wrenching to have someone who raised their baby now dealing with a bird that draws blood. A bird that is lashing out. A bird that now needs different food and more dark quiet time. A bird that now is showing hatred towards hair color or human gender. A bird that may even be best rehomed if things are severe. Those original authors are in purgatory because their beautiful little sweet baby (who they’ve always done what’s best for) now no longer wants anything to do with them. Your oversimplification of birds reaching hormonal apex as “a phase” that your bird may or may not go through scares me because it sounds as if you either don’t believe your birds will or that if your birds do they won’t change because you didn’t rescue them— which is utterly maddening.

Anyone who has never owned an adult bird can do as much reading, interviewing, and preparation as they can but still not be adept at handling that situation in person. It’s one thing to read what the best thing to do if your bird is acting poorly, but another entirely to be able to swiftly implement it.

And you will be having two birds!, two different personalities!, going through this at the same time. And you’re talking about adding two more! so you can have multiple breeding pairs. Slow down, breathe. You don’t even have an avian veterinarian yet!

Lol , I do things differently from other ppl, At the end of the day their is only one way to get experience and that's just to man up and step up to the plate and deal with the cons of owning a parrot as they come , Their are many ppl that own more then two caiques, so that tells me its possibly especially if you wanna breed them eventually and with all do respect that's all I need to know that its possibly, I dont run from challenges I welcome it! And adopt!..

I will have an Avian veterinarian next week..

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I'm in the armchair enjoying the popcorn.

Are caiques beautiful clowns or aggressive screamers. Yes!

I have a three year old who still insists on daily play and wrestling my fingers. She's the only one out of 8 to do so.

I have birds who will sit on a branch in a huge empty avairy with a mate and fight like the end of the world, over nothing, screaming all the while.

I have a baby who won't let her mother come near her.

I have a beautiful hen who hangs round the edge of the flock, always one eye on an escape route, cos she knows big male Boo Boo is a known terrorist

And I have Cha Cha who will sit in her very large cage and mournfully ping the bars if she can't come out to say goodnight to me, sharing my dinner and surfing like a mad thing

The oldest make is the most agreeable and docile. He's like your best friend permanently high on weed. He has elevated his consciousness above the fray and lives like Buddah, enjoying the silly madness round him

Which one will you get?. Roll the dice. But it largely depends on the energy you invest

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
They are often like very excitable puppies. They love you to bits but get excited easily. Then they chew the furniture and bite.

I'm very impatient but the caiques make me look like a Saint in that respect

Frustration comes quickly to them.

But they enrich my life greatly. I can't imagine how dull the house would be without the mad gang

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I don’t think there’s a difference. A few people say the bc are more hyper, but I think it comes down to individual birds.

I love all of mine. I do think it takes a special person to love a caique! Their energy level is high.
It's quite easy to make any caique hyper:

1) Play loud music and dance naked drinking vodka ( allegedly)
2) move fast round the house with a hoover
3) finger wrestle the baby (3 yrs old) till she loses her mind and launches into the air like a scud missile
4) ignore the red eye stare and insist on what you want

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Why do you think they get a bad reputation? I’ve fallen in love with every one I’ve seen. They’re freaking hysterical and loving birds!

It’s the same thing with Amazons, as to somehow, they’re supposedly more dangerous as to biting, as separate species in general. Especially the Hot Three.

The parrot community has evolved leaps and bounds in the last 30 years. Much more knowledge, much more insight into proper care and training techniques.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They’re freaking hysterical and loving birds!
This is true.
And I think people forget to mention the loving part.
“Red eyed devil... spawn of satan... little brat... o yea loving.”

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It seems like most species of birds with strong personalities have a lot of bad written about them, or at least the people who have bad things to say about them are very vocal - and there are fewer people equipped to embrace them. It’s the same with people with strong personalities, etc.

There’s a caique at our local bird store that loves playing with women who visit (I think he has issues with men) and is such a character. We’ve also played with other caiques there. Just because they’re not for everyone doesn’t mean they’re not still great. :)

(I can’t tell you how many bad things I have heard about lovebirds, and how many people I’ve met who think they’re just awful and so difficult to deal with. But I adore these birds and they’re perfect for me. I think they’re so underrated.)

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
It seems like most species of birds with strong personalities have a lot of bad written about them...
When I was researching Severe Macaws, I came across an article with the assertion that, "Chestnut-fronted macaws were given the nickname Severe because that's how doctors describe the bites they inflict".

That's paraphrased, and I can't find the source, but even Wikipedia says, "In the wild their typically gregarious personality can become more aggressive at puberty giving them the name Severe". That applies to most parrots, so I'm not sure why Chestnut-fronted macaws were singled out. :)

My Jericho (admittedly a sample of 1), is lovely.