• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caiques Get An Unfair Reputation

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
Caique parrots seem to get alot of unfair criticism from some caique owners and many ppl who dont own a caique and go by what they heard from someone or what they read somewhere, Truth be told caiques are wonderful parrots, Although they arent the best talkers and are more intune to whistling and mimic sounds , Their clownish, playful
Antics and personalities rather you own one , Two or a gang of caiques will be sure to always leave you entertained hours on end , Caiques are basically a energetic husky puppy, Bunny rabbit , circus performer all bundled up into one medium size colorful parrot and whatever cons these interesting one of a kind unique parrot's have, The pros completely outweigh the negative side , No parrot or animal or human for that matter is perfect and caiques are no exception, They are breaky birds that like to test everything out with their beaks and if provoked in anyway will give you a hard pinch hard enough to break skin! And yes some caiques will go through a faze when they get around to that two year mark , But dont we all go through some kind of faze at some point in are life? Caiques are no different, So with all that said anybody debating on getting a caique please dont be turned off by the negative things you might read about or what ppl tell you , Every parrot/Caique is an individual, What it all comes down to is being prepared doing you're research and learn new things every day as you live with whatever parrot ,dog ,cat your heart desires , Research and preparation is key as long as you do that you can accomplish anything you set you're mind too..

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The only Caique I ever came into contact with was one in a pet store for sale. The person that cared for the birds in that Petco store was the perfect bird care giver. She took a liking to this bird personally and had him out of the cage whenever she worked. He was so very personable with everyone. Loved to sit on her shoulder while she worked. Never flew away from her. She was saving up $$ to buy this bird. He appeared to be very intelligent, and friendly. Eventually she did take him home. Happy Ending. I was an English Budgie person for many years but sadly had to give up any companion species because of father dust and lung issues.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
The only Caique I ever came into contact with was one in a pet store for sale. The person that cared for the birds in that Petco store was the perfect bird care giver. She took a liking to this bird personally and had him out of the cage whenever she worked. He was so very personable with everyone. Loved to sit on her shoulder while she worked. Never flew away from her. She was saving up $$ to buy this bird. He appeared to be very intelligent, and friendly. Eventually she did take him home. Happy Ending. I was an English Budgie person for many years but sadly had to give up any companion species because of father dust and lung issues.

Awesome story about the lady and her caique, sorry to hear about your feather dust and lung issues..

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I mean, show me an animal on the planet that people don't make assumptions about. It's in our nature unfortunately to lump things together as it makes it easier to process the data.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe it's because I read a lot on AA, but I have a good impression of them. saroj12 is always posting pictures of hers. They look nice.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
Maybe it's because I read a lot on AA, but I have a good impression of them. saroj12 is always posting pictures of hers. They look nice.

I have two caiques they are the best type of parrots ever..

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have had the pleasure of being an indentured servant to both black and white!
White bellies are by far my most favorite caique. I do not think I ever experienced anyone criticize them or voice that they weren’t “as good” of a parrot as any other species I’ve had. The care is the same, at least in my house.

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
do white bellied and black capped caiques have different personalities? @saroj12 just curious do you think that the caique stereotype matches your birds? I do not have experience with them but would love to learn more. Are they as hyper as people say and do they lash out like others say?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
do white bellied and black capped caiques have different personalities? @saroj12 just curious do you think that the caique stereotype matches your birds? I do not have experience with them but would love to learn more. Are they as hyper as people say and do they lash out like others say?
Hi @Pepebirdie have you read this?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yes I have. Super interesting.
Great!
mine are 16 and have never been hyper. They like to move around like my other birds. If JoJo is eating and you get in the way like to put more food in the bowl he will bite but not draw blood. I try not to interfere. Chickie doesn’t. Don’t know about bhc differences but @finchly has both kinds!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don’t think there’s a difference. A few people say the bc are more hyper, but I think it comes down to individual birds.

I love all of mine. I do think it takes a special person to love a caique! Their energy level is high.

Attachments

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I don’t think there’s a difference. A few people say the bc are more hyper, but I think it comes down to individual birds.

I love all of mine. I do think it takes a special person to love a caique! Their energy level is high.
:swoon: They are such beautiful birds!!

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
White bellies are by far my most favorite caique. I do not think I ever experienced anyone criticize them or voice that they weren’t “as good” of a parrot as any other species I’ve had. The care is the same, at least in my house.

I have ready threads on here dating back to 2010 of ppl talking negative things about caiques and not really talking about the good things when ppl who are interested in buying one ask for thoughts and opinions from ppl who know anything about caiques, as far as white bellies vs black cap caiques, I used to prefer white bellies but since owning both WB and black cap caiques, I dont really have a preference anymore they are both cute and personality and playfulness is exactly the same in fact as of now i would say my black headed caique acts a little more goofy , That being said I am very interested in getting a lime thigh caique which resembles a white bellied caique, because I wanna have all three subspecies, I could be wrong but I don't think any other caique owner can say they own all three subspecies of caiques at once , I live in Florida and the only person I knew that sold lime thigh caiques was a breeder named Rite from Georgia she post videos on YouTube for many years but has since retired from the business but all her videos of her caiques are still up on YouTube

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne

Omg you're caiques are so beautiful! How old is the white bellied caique? Also do you agree with what I was saying in my post?

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne

The threads of ppl saying mostly negative things about caiques are on here dating back to 2009/2010 and up I have seen them and read them all as I was doing my research on caiques their is a member on here named iris that owns 8 caiques that was on alot of those post , Not saying he was the one that spoke negative about caiques but he was one of the ppl I remember seeing on alot of those caique threads about the good bad and ugly etc ..

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne

White bellied caiques, black headed caiques and lime thigh caiques all have the same personality and playfulness only difference is color, yes they are hyper they love to play rough wrestle with each other, hang upside down etc , Caiques are very fun unique and interesting birds..

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Caique parrots seem to get alot of unfair criticism from some caique owners and many ppl who dont own a caique and go by what they heard from someone or what they read somewhere, Truth be told caiques are wonderful parrots, Although they arent the best talkers and are more intune to whistling and mimic sounds , Their clownish, playful
Antics and personalities rather you own one , Two or a gang of caiques will be sure to always leave you entertained hours on end , Caiques are basically a energetic husky puppy, Bunny rabbit , circus performer all bundled up into one medium size colorful parrot and whatever cons these interesting one of a kind unique parrot's have, The pros completely outweigh the negative side , No parrot or animal or human for that matter is perfect and caiques are no exception, They are breaky birds that like to test everything out with their beaks and if provoked in anyway will give you a hard pinch hard enough to break skin! And yes some caiques will go through a faze when they get around to that two year mark , But dont we all go through some kind of faze at some point in are life? Caiques are no different, So with all that said anybody debating on getting a caique please dont be turned off by the negative things you might read about or what ppl tell you , Every parrot/Caique is an individual, What it all comes down to is being prepared doing you're research and learn new things every day as you live with whatever parrot ,dog ,cat your heart desires , Research and preparation is key as long as you do that you can accomplish anything you set you're mind too..
I have read negative things online about caiques, quakers, (and cockatoos, sometimes amazons). Hormones are commonly mentioned. That being said, My local bird store particularly loves both caiques and quakers. I see those, especially quakers, very often.
Even my own birds have proved assumptions wrong. My budgie Mark is social and handle-able. My cockatiel is the opposite. Some online sources would say cockatiels are sweet, and budgies are flighty. It is all relative. I think researching can help you have an idea which kind of parrot you like, but nothing compares to actually meeting different species. Parrots can also change due to environment. I have been told, and seen, how a bird in a new household can change.

I hope that didn't come out too jumbled. tldr I just think every bird is different, whether they fit a stereotype or completely deny it. They are all special.