• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caiques as pets

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello, I have been reccomended to get a caique as my new parrot and I have read that they are real clowns but there moods can change drastically. I plan to get a hand reared bird so will that make them more calm? Any experience or advice will help, thanks.

Also, how do they compare to Senegal parrots or green cheek conures. I know each individual bird is different but for the general species, which of the 3 is the most interactive/cuddly. Many thanks.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Its always bad to generalise but I have 11 of these guys and find its the babies which clown around the most.

Their moods are like yours, they have good days and bad days. Their reputation for biting comes from
a) Human ignorance of the warning signs
b) Human expectations that their baby cutie cuddling beheaviour will continue into adulthood. it wont.

ThatsFowlPlay

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jasmine
I foster a caique and sun conure. Caique, Senegal, and GGC can be cuddly just depends how you interact with it.
All birds have pros and cons and have their good and bad days, so here is some forum links and the good, bad, and the ugly on Caique, Senegal, and GGC
The good, the bad, and the ugly about caiques | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Green Cheeked Conures | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Senegals | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum