• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caiques and computer wires

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
So these boys go everywhere which I expected and love but I have my workstation in the same room as their play stands so I can keep an eye on them throughout the day. My workstation includes a computer with lots of wires however and I'm concerned for the times I go to the restroom or the kitchen for a snack or water. So I'm going to get wire protectors but I see a few different kinds out there. Is there a particular kind that is tried and true Caique proof/resistant? Or any general tips/tricks out there for keeping the birdies away from things they shouldn't be destroying.

Also, rip toilet paper roll I was using as tissues, you never stood a chance.

20200427_110500.jpg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sorry no help. Only electronics in the birdroom are my earbuds. I bought 30 and have 4 left!!oh and my four nest cams.,,I replace their wires constantly. Not the electric cord but the skinny wire. I would cage them if you leave the birdroom. Nutriberry is the trick!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Maybe @Laurie has an idea?

I couldn't remember anyone's name earlier lol, I know what people's profile pics look like, but I can't remember their usernames for some reason.
Nope sorry, I can't say that I have anything caique proof.

I have something like this. I don't think it would be 100% though, just an added precaution.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
I’m a writer so I’m always at the computer. I have a stack of towels on my desk, and use them for covering the keyboard, mouse, wires. It’s not perfect but so far it works.
Thanks for the idea, I'll give that a try! I'm graduating in a year with my masters in computer science so everything I do that's not bird related is computer related.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
everything I do that's not bird related is computer related.
Join the club!
I minored in computer design my 1st time around... now I am (very) old and got a different bachelor's and master's. However I still fiddle with computer stuff all the time. I guess I'm hard wired for it, pun intended.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
Join the club!
I minored in computer design my 1st time around... now I am (very) old and got a different bachelor's and master's. However I still fiddle with computer stuff all the time. I guess I'm hard wired for it, pun intended.
I had to take a computer design class 1.5 years ago... I discovered I am NOT a hardware person, haha. Needless to say I did not do too well but everything since then has been software-oriented so I've survived. I'm currently getting the master's in cybersecurity but I'm seriously considering a swap to data science or something similar. I'm not built for the security bit even if it is interesting. Everyone in that field has been doing it since middle school it seems and I'm not interested in competing with that. :p

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have 8 caiques and I work from home in an IT job.

Caiques and computers don't mix. No way papa is going to be allowed work with caiques on the loose anyway.

Solution. Ritual. They love it.

2 hours playtime with papa before work starts, then out to the garden in the sun for all the babies.

They love the reliable ritual. I love the relative quiet to work

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
I have 8 caiques and I work from home in an IT job.

Caiques and computers don't mix. No way papa is going to be allowed work with caiques on the loose anyway.

Solution. Ritual. They love it.

2 hours playtime with papa before work starts, then out to the garden in the sun for all the babies.

They love the reliable ritual. I love the relative quiet to work
This is really, really good. Since they've come home (especially in the last 4-5 days) they've been sooo needy. I think they've gotten used to the new place and now they want new entertainment in the form of human interaction and my productivity has been waaay down. I think I'll do what you describe. I've got them harness trained already and we go for walks in the backyard so I'll do that on a break and get a ritual going with some playtime followed by some cage time.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Great. Just remember to keep to the ritual you have installed. Dont make it too demanding on yourself.

They will be really upset if you break it suddenly. Babies especially, need the security of knowing EXACTLY whats the framework of each day.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
Great. Just remember to keep to the ritual you have installed. Dont make it too demanding on yourself.

They will be really upset if you break it suddenly. Babies especially, need the security of knowing EXACTLY whats the framework of each day.
Good to know! I'll figure something out that works and stick to it. I have a remote summer internship so it'll be easy for me to keep a consistent schedule and when fall comes I'll figure out a new one. The reason I got them both is because I want them to be okay without me (and so I don't feel guilty leaving them alone for my school and later my 9-5 job).

I was hoping I could ask you something slightly off topic, because you're so experienced with this species.

They get along fantastically but I've heard how cage mates can be that way and then one day you find a dead bird in the cage. There has got to be signs before this happens, right? They play a lot and have a lot of fun, sometimes it gets pretty excited but they sleep next to one another, share food, and spend hours cuddled up in their tent and preen each other a lot. I would think this means they should be fine...

I head caiques are food aggressive and you should give them separate food bowls, these boys are not but they are also babies. If they get food aggressive should I take that as a sign that they should have separate cages or is that still normal and doesn't mean anybody is going to die - just give them two food bowls?

Everything is fine now but this is a growing concern in the back of my mind. I'm getting incredibly attached to these boys and I don't want to think about something happening to one of them because I missed the signs.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
They always squabble over food so the easy solution is to have two food bowls, well separated.

Also ypu must always give them treats together.

Baby caiques are a very low fight risk. Though they will squabble and play fight all the time.

The risk is to any other species sharing space with then.

You have a free pass for two years, then you gotta deal with hormonal agression maybe.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
They always squabble over food so the easy solution is to have two food bowls, well separated.

Also ypu must always give them treats together.

Baby caiques are a very low fight risk. Though they will squabble and play fight all the time.

The risk is to any other species sharing space with then.

You have a free pass for two years, then you gotta deal with hormonal agression maybe.
Okay thank you, I will do this! I'll give treats together and make sure I keep no other species around. Two years is a good timeline for me to be able to handle whatever they throw at me. :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Use your two years wisely. They need to learn your rituals

YOU need to learn caique sign language. They tell you EVERYTHING in the way they hold their bodies, posture, feather tilt, eyes

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I’m a writer so I’m always at the computer. I have a stack of towels on my desk, and use them for covering the keyboard, mouse, wires. It’s not perfect but so far it works.
That is a great idea! My girls LOVE to chew on towels! @ZekeZack could you load up some old towels on the desk to have the birds chew on those instead of the wires?

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
Use your two years wisely. They need to learn your rituals

YOU need to learn caique sign language. They tell you EVERYTHING in the way they hold their bodies, posture, feather tilt, eyes
I was hand wrestling with them the other day and saw eye pinning for the first time. And every time the playfight turned more intense. I also noticed that the act of me pulling one of them away only escalated the situation should they get loose.

I have been watching them closely to learn the sign language. They are such funny birds and so physical. I want to learn everything about them and give them the best lives possible.