• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caiques aggressive whilst eating their treat?

Jeezy85

Moving in
Hi All,

Not sure if this is a normal caique trait but whenever I give my caiques a treat whilst they are eating it if I go near them at all they get angry and start growling angrily.

is this normal for caiques? Is there something I can do to reduce this behaviour apart from the obvious of not going near them?

thanks

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
Ive found most birds to be cage aggressive while eating or hormonal. Especially Quakers ! BC you said "they" I would watch for an aggressor under usual behavior and separate accordingly. But I only use treats for training, everything else is in a dish. Mango is out of his cage most of the day so he never gets aggressive in any way especially when there is a coveted Walnut nearby. He is actually a very chill bird as long as him human stays on routine. Playtime is crazy Caique I want it I want it I want it. Thanks, I changed my mind I want this now....

I have been trained well :)

I would say just let them be, food aggression is something that needs to be respected so long as this aggression doesnt spill out into the hallway. Just walking near/by should not cause aggression but too many things to consider like husbandry, aggressive cage mate or the flock is in protect mode. If you really want to stop this give them treats individually and personally from your hand. Make them wait their turn, rinse lather and repeat. I have never had a problem with aggression as long as I respect the birds' boundaries. Ive only been bitten once in 15 years, but I did have a bird that was terrified of spaghetti so there's that.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Caiques are highly food motivated. Its dangerous for any bird to stand between a caique and its food bowl
Even humans get threatened.

Use this to your advantage. Discover their favourite food. Use it to reward the beheaviour you want to promote.

And use bigger and more food bowls to dissipate food battles

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Caiques that growl are politely telling you they’d be more comfortable if you stepped back from their goodies.

Appreciate the growl, and respect it. “Can I please have some space?” growling is so much better than some of the alternatives.

If you’re wanting to reduce it, only give treats when they’re caged and alone. They’ll understand at what times they’re supposed to go to their cages to get their treats and with the cage door closed, be secure in knowing no one is going to take it or clean up crumbs they weren’t done with yet prematurely.

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
My caique is the sweetest little thing and he will growl if I move my hand too close to him when he’s enjoying something. Most of the time he just protects walnuts, grapes, and apple, but sometimes he’ll even get protective over water if he’s thirsty enough.

But because he’s such a sweetie, he’ll growl his little head off, but he’ll just turn his back on you and walk a few steps further away from you instead of trying to attack.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hi All,

Not sure if this is a normal caique trait but whenever I give my caiques a treat whilst they are eating it if I go near them at all they get angry and start growling angrily.

is this normal for caiques? Is there something I can do to reduce this behaviour apart from the obvious of not going near them?

thanks
To us this might seem like behavior we do not like or that should be reduced. For the bird they see it as life and death. I need food to live and if you touch it you will die
;)

Honestly, this is not something that needs to be changed. If you are just walking by feel free to ignore the growl. If you are approaching then take heed and back up. Pushing past a warning is teaching your bird that you do not understand what they are trying to tell you and it forces them to escalate to an even more undesirable behavior to make you understand.

Plus don't you think it is at least a little bit cute :) A little bird ready to bite your head off over a sliver of almond...

And yes it is normal. Some caiques do it more than others.