• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique with separation anxiety??

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
So i've had Marvel for 4 days at this point and she's been wonderful except for one MAJOR issue. If she can't see anyone, she immediately starts doing a flock call (the best I can describe it is a very loud door creak. it's longer than the "smoke alarm" vocalization) every 8-10 seconds and does not stop. She's gone at it for a full 30 minutes before.

I've tried ignoring her, I've tried calling back, nothing makes a difference, she just keeps screaming until she can see someone. She has a large flight cage (36"x30"x60") with a ton of toys (that she likes and plays with when she can see people), fresh chop, water, but she won't touch any of it unless she can see someone. She just keeps screaming. I tried giving her breakfast when she was hungry and immediately leaving but she just screamed for the entire time I was downstairs eating my own breakfast and taking a shower and didn't touch her chop until I returned. Now that she can see me she's eating happily but there's no way for me to be in sight 24/7.

I'm at a loss for how to get her more comfortable with being alone. It is not possible for her to be in view of people all day, and putting on sounds of other birds/nature doesn't make a difference either. I'm relatively new to behavior correction and just don't know how to deal with this.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
bumping, some sort of response would be very appreciated, she's been doing her scream every 8-10 seconds for nearly an hour now as I've been trying to get work done and just leave her alone to wear herself out
it's probably not a medical problem, she had a vet check just a few months ago
I know she doesn't need anything, she has her chop, clean water, lots of toys, and I've been hanging out with her most of this morning but as soon as I leave it's just -scream-

it is physically impossible for me to spend all day with her but she does not stop screaming the moment I leave. It's not always the flock call but when it isn't it's more like a squeaky pained call, definitely not a sound she makes when people are with her

I know this isn't normal, people leave their birds out of view of people all the time (although never for a long time, and Marvel can also see people most of the day) and other birds I've worked with only scream for a minute or two when you leave- I've never encountered something of this intensity or length

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
got an answer on another site. you're still welcome to drop your thoughts but we've got a training plan that will hopefully show results.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Experienced people will be along sometime to give you more thorough advice regarding the actual screaming, but I would say to remember that it's been four days. Four days is nothing. Your bird is still reeling from the complete change in its life and trying to figure out what the heck happened, why did the entire world change, is it going to happen again, etc. Every time you leave she probably goes "is she ever coming back??" cuz I mean, right now she just doesn't know yet. She needs to learn how life is going to be like now, so she needs time to settle into a routine/schedule so everything isn't such a huge unknown. Set schedules can be really great for birds!
Birds can take months to years to truly settle in to a new place. Anxiety is to be expected. Also you say that nothing you've tried helps, but it's been four days! Nothing is going to help or change in that amount of time. Consistency and patience is key.
Congrats on your new baby (love the name!) and welcome to the forum! Would love to see some pictures of Marvel!