• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique Vocalizations?

BirdDad

Meeting neighbors

What do these sounds mean? I can't really find any information about the vocalization of caiques so I'd like to find out. It he happy, interested, scared? I can't tell. He's just looking out the window. In the first video he saw a bird go by.

Last edited:

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Mine does the same thing when looking out the window at the sky/around. Id think it means "Ive seen something that might be dangerous, and i am watching it"

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Its a warning sound- I'm unhappy, and uneasy. I dont like what I'm seeing.

My guys play it on a scale of 1 to ten. This is about a 5. I'm not happy - and Im watching you.

It can escalate to a rapid scream and a dive for the nearest cover.

Ps that beak looks overly long

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Definitely, means he notices something and is keeping an eye on it. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what they saw.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
^^^I agree with the above comments. It can range from Level 1 (I'm interested in something) to Level 10 (I'm very alarmed, scream, get out of here!). Usually it's "This is new, better keep an eye on it".

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
My caique (Kate) does this when I tell her she can't have something I'm eating. I thought it roughly translated to "What did you just say to me?"
To be fair she wolf whistles when she sees a hawk outside so...