• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique parrot diet

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@saroj12 Hey now. Them’s fighting words! (sneaks favorite green cheeked caique a little nut sliver when the Indian Gooseberry isn’t looking)
:pillowfight:
Lol! Glad someone is having fun! I’m struggling with my code. It was working and I broke something :wacky:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hello everyone, so I have two young baby parrots that are 3 and 4months old one is a male black head and the other is a yet to be determined white bellied caique, I was told originally that my WB caique was a male but their was no proof of that meaning no dna text was done so it's a 50/50 percent chance that my WB could be male or female, I got got them both at a very young age while they were still getting hand feeding baby parrot formula intune and exact, They both weaned at around 10 weeks and started trying different things like seed mix and fruits , Their favorite things to eat are apples, blueberries and seed mix, I tried feeding then zupreem fruit blend pellets but they do not like it , I tried carrots they nipple on some of it and waste most of it I have served the carrots to them cooked and raw doesnt make a difference, so my question is I know making apples , blueberries and seed mix their main diet wont be healthy for them in the long run , so to all the caique owners out their please give me some ideas on other healthier foods I can try to feed the caiques that they might like..

Also depending on the gender of what my WB caique turns out to be I will like to add one or two more caiques of the opposite sex to the two I have so that when they reach the appropriate age to breed that can be a possibility , my question is if I were to add two more caiques when my two that I have now are a year old or a year and a half etc would they still have a good chance of accepting new caique members to the family flock? I know it's best to get them while they are baby young but considering how expensive caiques are the two I have now are probably all I am gonna have for awhile until I can save up and get the other one or two caiques I will eventually get at some point rather it be before the year ends or at some point next year , and btw they were both born in the month of February 2021..
Hi, I had (past tense) chosen a non-pellet based diet for my flock, rather a whole food/ raw diet. It is very healthy, just as it would be for humans- we’re also vegan. It’s also a bit time consuming, especially if you prepare it all yourself. You can save time by purchasing prepared and freeze dried food.
However I have a large flock and am a covid long hauler, my main symptom is exhaustion. Sooo I’ve had to make many changes, including reducing the flock and changing food practices. I checked with a few breeders, and went with Higgins natural as the go to pellet. I also have Roudybush, and (what’s the name guys?) something oven fresh bites, nutriberries, and I’m still feeling chop and sprouts.
As far as accepting another bird, it’s impossible to predict. I brought in 3 after my initial pair, and they were accepted. But my WB decided she hates one of my Pionus, and a bh hates hubby. You just don’t know.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
Hi, I had (past tense) chosen a non-pellet based diet for my flock, rather a whole food/ raw diet. It is very healthy, just as it would be for humans- we’re also vegan. It’s also a bit time consuming, especially if you prepare it all yourself. You can save time by purchasing prepared and freeze dried food.
However I have a large flock and am a covid long hauler, my main symptom is exhaustion. Sooo I’ve had to make many changes, including reducing the flock and changing food practices. I checked with a few breeders, and went with Higgins natural as the go to pellet. I also have Roudybush, and (what’s the name guys?) something oven fresh bites, nutriberries, and I’m still feeling chop and sprouts.
As far as accepting another bird, it’s impossible to predict. I brought in 3 after my initial pair, and they were accepted. But my WB decided she hates one of my Pionus, and a bh hates hubby. You just don’t know.

Thank you! I am gonna try the Higgins pellets because they hate the zupreem fruit blend pellets , and yea you never know when introducing new birds but since caiques are usually friendly and the next two birds I'll be getting eventually will be other caiques I think it will work out okay, it might take a few days or even a few weeks depending on the age and how long I take to introduce the new caiques which realistically might not be until sometime next year , But their is still 7months left in 2021 so you never know..

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll tag @Irishj9 here too - he has several caique breding pairs and will be able to give you more insight into whether a group will get along.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
I'll tag @Irishj9 here too - he has several caique breding pairs and will be able to give you more insight into whether a group will get along.

It's funny I was just talking about seeing him in alot of older caique threads dating back to around 2010 and up, yes I would love to get some advice from him

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Some very good diet advice here. Again the basics:

Lots of variety
Based on carbs and veg
Reduce the fruit
Pick a good pellet