• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique loves to dig

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
So I noticed one of my birds seems obsessed with scratching at the bottom of the cage. I think it's the species which probably likes to dig, or just his personality. I'm not bothered by it but honestly it just looks so sad.

I was wondering if anyone else has birds that like to dig and do they have any toys or things to put at the bottom of the cage so they can scratch and have a bit more fun with it? Like, a box of puzzle pieces or even a shallow box of dirt? I'm brainstorming here. I just think it would be cool to make a toy that integrates something he already really likes to do.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Maybe do a tray full of crinkle paper? You could also add treats into the crinkle paper and have your bird find them if you wanted to turn it into a foraging toy.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
My flock loves to dig around in things, so I made one of their playstands into a foraging playground recently and just filled it up with crinkle paper, parts of old toys, finger traps with treats stuffed in them and many other little treats hidden around in it. They love it so far! Below I attached the post I made about it with the pictures of how I made it.
http://instagr.am/p/CR2QL3XMPD_/

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@saroj12 has two cute little chicken scratching Caiques, hers seem to like to shred food then kick it about like they are doing little birdie burnouts on their cage tops or table tops. I think it is awesome to watch :laugh:
A foraging tray is a really good idea if you are bothered about watching your bird scratching at the bottom of the cage but I would use fresh foods, toys, broken toys parts, paper (strips, balls and screwed up bits), dried and fresh (bird safe) flowers and foliage and totally forget about using the dirt as dirt can be quite dangerous as it can have bacteria and fungus in it.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
Maybe do a tray full of crinkle paper? You could also add treats into the crinkle paper and have your bird find them if you wanted to turn it into a foraging toy.
I like that idea! Now time for a trip to the store to get more crinkle paper. :)

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
My flock loves to dig around in things, so I made one of their playstands into a foraging playground recently and just filled it up with crinkle paper, parts of old toys, finger traps with treats stuffed in them and many other little treats hidden around in it. They love it so far! Below I attached the post I made about it with the pictures of how I made it.
http://instagr.am/p/CR2QL3XMPD_/
That's awesome! The boys would tear through that thing like a tornado :laugh: I do really like the things you put in there. A while ago I purchased a giant pack of finger traps because they adore shredding them and I like to string them up.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
@saroj12 has two cute little chicken scratching Caiques, hers seem to like to shred food then kick it about like they are doing little birdie burnouts on their cage tops or table tops. I think it is awesome to watch :laugh:
A foraging tray is a really good idea if you are bothered about watching your bird scratching at the bottom of the cage but I would use fresh foods, toys, broken toys parts, paper (strips, balls and screwed up bits), dried and fresh (bird safe) flowers and foliage and totally forget about using the dirt as dirt can be quite dangerous as it can have bacteria and fungus in it.
Birdie burnouts describes it perfectly :laugh: I'm gonna do a mix of crinkle paper, finger cuffs, and footsie toys with some treats sprinkled in. I'm betting they'll love it.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
Alright, I decided to see what I had on hand and since I just bought a basket (and the boys love chewing through the bottoms) I'd figure what I could whip up. Still gotta get more crinkle confetti paper but they were very intrigued. No scratching but we'll see and if they have fun then it's a win regardless. :roflmao:

PXL_20210731_162105013.MP.jpg PXL_20210731_161351398.MP.jpg