• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique Head rubbing on my hand

addisdad76

Moving in
Real Name
Andrew Davies
Hi all we have recently got a Caique sex unknown now 20 weeks old and s/he has just started rubbing his/her head quite vigorously on my hand whilst holding my finger with one of his/her feet. We have also got a white cap pionus who has never shown this sort of behaviour so we are intrigued. We only ever give scritches etc on the top of the head so I’m hoping it’s not a sexual thing going on and also s/he is only very young still. Could anyone shed any light on this cute behaviour? Thanks!!

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Maybe they are moulting? Are there any pin feathers on their head?

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
Are you talking about surfing? Caiques love rubbing their faces on things, especially soft items (and hair). Very normal behavior for them.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Yes, normal behavior! Very cute! I have read that they do this with damp leaves in the jungle canopy. I will sometimes dampen a towel and give it to my girls to "surf" on when out of the cage.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Here is one of mine surfing. It is totally a caique thing.

addisdad76

Moving in
Real Name
Andrew Davies
Hi yeah that’s it Caique surfing!! I had read about it but didn’t join up the dots ‍♂ It really is super cute!! Thanks a lot everyone

Jeezy85

Moving in
Is it not normal if my caique doesn’t surf? Tried offering towers etc but he just doesn’t surf

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Is it not normal if my caique doesn’t surf? Tried offering towers etc but he just doesn’t surf
Yes, some are more into surfing than others. Also hopping is the same. Each on is different.

I have some who barely ever surf and some who barely ever stop. LOL!