• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique & bird aggression?

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
Hi I’m looking to get a caique. I currently have a sun conure and I plan on keeping all flock & future flock flighted. They’re going to have their own cages but I’ve been reading some scary stuff about caiques and their aggression towards other birds. If my sunny and caique are both out and flighted is that a disaster waiting to happen? I’m planning on getting more birds in the future and I want everyone to get along. Any tips? Thank you.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
Yes it is. A disaster waiting to happen. Period

I can give you the long answer if it would make a difference
Yes please I would love the long answer. I don’t know much about caiques and this is definitely a make or break for me.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
OK the longish answer:
I have 8 caiques. Average age 6.
1) My partner kept a lovebug Quaker called Noodles. Beloved Noodles was a close to human as a bird could be, and a total sweetie. He grew up with the caiques. Ate with them. Played with them every day.

Until one day they tried to beat him to death. So badly they beat him, that his bones were visible in many places. They seriously wanted him dead. Luckily he survived and was moved far away from them.

2) I sold most of my lovebirds after two unexplained deaths in the avairy they shared with the caiques.

3) 2 of my green thighed caiques cannot stand the sight of the yellow thighed variety. They launch screaming flying attacks at any and every opportunity. I have been bitten separating them. They are so enraged they don't recognize me.

4) Fingers and Cha Cha, 8 years old and paired for years have taken to fighting. They cannot be left alone. They scream at each other in long piercing shrieks of annoyance. Violence is next.

5) NUM NUMS, a one year old hand raised baby, will fight any birdie for food, no matter how much food is strewn about everywhere. She is HUGE. The Hulk of the bird world, and she throws her weight around. She is afraid of nothing.

6) Gorgeous little baby Nick Nak plays wrestling with my hand every evening. She lies on her back in my lap and wrestles my fingers with feet and beak. She loves it, pretending to be outraged by my touch and resisting energetically.

If I get distracted and stop wrestling, she will nip my hand hard to get my attention and restart the play fight.

Why is nature preparing her to fight like this?

What would she do to a weaker bird?

These birds are strong wrestlers with a high energy lifestyle. They love fighting. For play and for real.

No other species is safe around them.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
^^ Everything he said. Mine ( only my male) has picked out certain birds to go after.

My female only goes after my husband. constantly and relentlessly.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
OK the longish answer:
I have 8 caiques. Average age 6.
1) My partner kept a lovebug Quaker called Noodles. Beloved Noodles was a close to human as a bird could be, and a total sweetie. He grew up with the caiques. Ate with them. Played with them every day.

Until one day they tried to beat him to death. So badly they beat him, that his bones were visible in many places. They seriously wanted him dead. Luckily he survived and was moved far away from them.

2) I sold most of my lovebirds after two unexplained deaths in the avairy they shared with the caiques.

3) 2 of my green thighed caiques cannot stand the sight of the yellow thighed variety. They launch screaming flying attacks at any and every opportunity. I have been bitten separating them. They are so enraged they don't recognize me.

4) Fingers and Cha Cha, 8 years old and paired for years have taken to fighting. They cannot be left alone. They scream at each other in long piercing shrieks of annoyance. Violence is next.

5) NUM NUMS, a one year old hand raised baby, will fight any birdie for food, no matter how much food is strewn about everywhere. She is HUGE. The Hulk of the bird world, and she throws her weight around. She is afraid of nothing.

6) Gorgeous little baby Nick Nak plays wrestling with my hand every evening. She lies on her back in my lap and wrestles my fingers with feet and beak. She loves it, pretending to be outraged by my touch and resisting energetically.

If I get distracted and stop wrestling, she will nip my hand hard to get my attention and restart the play fight.

Why is nature preparing her to fight like this?

What would she do to a weaker bird?

These birds are strong wrestlers with a high energy lifestyle. They love fighting. For play and for real.

No other species is safe around them.
Wow that’s crazy. I was reading that they are clumsy fliers so maybe that’s why they need to fight like that but I don’t know. Thank you for answering!

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
^^ Everything he said. Mine ( only my male) has picked out certain birds to go after.

My female only goes after my husband. constantly and relentlessly.
They really seem crazy. I wonder why. :bored:

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Wow that’s crazy. I was reading that they are clumsy fliers so maybe that’s why they need to fight like that but I don’t know. Thank you for answering!
They need to live and survive in the Amazon rainforest. I have no doubt that they learned to fight to protect their nests from climbing snakes, lizards and monkeys looking for a quick protein fi

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I have a Lorikeet which is very similar to personality and bird-aggression, as well as body language.
Like the Caique, they are not to be trusted with other birds at any point alone. There are exceptions and I get jealous when I see them but NEVER get these species with the expectation of them getting on with other parrots.

My Lorikeet wants to kill my Blue Crown Conure and MRH Amazon. I also disgaree with clipping so everyone is flighted for maximum happiness and exercise. As such, I have two out of cage times. One just for my lorikeet in the evening and the other 9 parrots (Amazon, Conure, Tiel, Parakeets) earlier in the day.

This works for my crew and routine. I would never recommend clipping. Especially with a species who should have an easy out of a situation they don't want to be in to help lower the chances of biting because they resort to biting more than other species, for sure. And they aren't fun bites... nor are they predictable bites.

A few times my Lorikeet has happily been perched on my hand only to randomly get pissed off and dig into my hand, drawing blood. Caique's are down for this similar tendency. Funnily enough, I am absolutely petrified of Caique's but Lorikeets are amazing despite how similar they are in behavior... and all Caique's read on this and love to torture me.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Mine also have separate out tlimes but that limits the time. Plus I used to be able to take the caiques into the bird room, but now I can’t because of Capt Jack trying to fight through the bars...even when I cover a cage he finds a way in. LIke a tiny crack he can get through. So silly.

I guess I could take them in there and teach them to stay on a perch...but the whole point is that’s where the climbing/playing area is. I can remove one of the parrots, but the other (Clint cockatiel) is special needs, hates being touched... it’s too hard on him to move him.

So the cakes either follow me around the house or play in the screened area, and when I am in the bird room they have to be in a cage.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I believe Caiques in the wild are pretty territorial and don't flock with other species like other South American species do.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
I have a Lorikeet which is very similar to personality and bird-aggression, as well as body language.
Like the Caique, they are not to be trusted with other birds at any point alone. There are exceptions and I get jealous when I see them but NEVER get these species with the expectation of them getting on with other parrots.

My Lorikeet wants to kill my Blue Crown Conure and MRH Amazon. I also disgaree with clipping so everyone is flighted for maximum happiness and exercise. As such, I have two out of cage times. One just for my lorikeet in the evening and the other 9 parrots (Amazon, Conure, Tiel, Parakeets) earlier in the day.

This works for my crew and routine. I would never recommend clipping. Especially with a species who should have an easy out of a situation they don't want to be in to help lower the chances of biting because they resort to biting more than other species, for sure. And they aren't fun bites... nor are they predictable bites.

A few times my Lorikeet has happily been perched on my hand only to randomly get pissed off and dig into my hand, drawing blood. Caique's are down for this similar tendency. Funnily enough, I am absolutely petrified of Caique's but Lorikeets are amazing despite how similar they are in behavior... and all Caique's read on this and love to torture me.
Wow that’s crazy that all 9 get along and your Lori doesn’t lol. You answered my next question though. I was thinking well maybe clip the caique but I can’t do that emotionally. Thank you.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
Mine also have separate out tlimes but that limits the time. Plus I used to be able to take the caiques into the bird room, but now I can’t because of Capt Jack trying to fight through the bars...even when I cover a cage he finds a way in. LIke a tiny crack he can get through. So silly.

I guess I could take them in there and teach them to stay on a perch...but the whole point is that’s where the climbing/playing area is. I can remove one of the parrots, but the other (Clint cockatiel) is special needs, hates being touched... it’s too hard on him to move him.

So the cakes either follow me around the house or play in the screened area, and when I am in the bird room they have to be in a cage.
I was thinking about different out times but I don’t know about it.