• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique Behaviour

AndrewCaiquey

Moving in
Real Name
Andrew
Hi there!

Not so much a breeding post kinda...?

So I have a Caique, my first parrot. But lately he started doing this thing that i was like lol what on earth is he at... And the penny dropped... he's trying to mate with my hand? Like what do I do? I assume I do not want to encourage this behaviour? I don't know why he's started it, I read up on somethings and nothign is jumping out like a sore thumb... Maybe I'm also a bit dumb but I didn't think they would exhibit such behaviour so young? He's only months old? Maybe thats silly to say

Anyway any advice would be fab thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
No, it's not a behavior you want to encourage!

When he starts up, set him down and either ignore him or cue him to do a behavior that is incompatible to trying to mate with your hand.

Make sure you are keeping pets to the head region only. If this still elicits a response, then no pets for now but do redirect and train new behaviors! No warm foods, no hidey holes, too!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
At 9 months old it's unlikely there's any real sexual content in this beheaviour.

However it's been said many times on this forum that it is not natural to keep one bird alone.

He will practice all his mating routines on the only object of his affections. You.

I assume you're cool with him hewing a nest from your best furniture then happily regurgitating his love for you on your best sweater?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John