• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Caique back feathers yellowing

pest0

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, everyone!

I'm new to this forum and wanted to inquire about some change in back color feathers on my 5-year old female caique that I'm concerned about.

I have only recently noticed this in the past 2-3 weeks where her usual all emerald green back feathers have been turning yellow. Not sure if this is a health problem to be wary about or whether this can sometimes happen in caiques?

The only really significant thing that has happened was we were OOT for a month, where she boarded with an experienced avian store for half the time and then was bird sat for half the time.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I don't know about caiques specifically, but I know some birds can have feathers change color due to nutrient issues. Maybe @Irishj9 @EmiLemon @Laurie can pop in?

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Has she ever had blood work done? I would suggest taking her to an avian vet to get her checked out (blood work definitely). It might be a sign of stress or health problems (liver issues, bacterial infection). If health issues are the case, you've probably caught it early so something can be done. If everything pans out (health is good), your vet may have suggestions to reduce stress. Also, the peace of mind after getting her checked out by a vet is well worth the cost. My girls had a couple of feathers turning yellow (on their back) a few years ago and the blood work showed a bacterial infection. After a round of antibiotics and a good molt, they're back to emerald green backs!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have a hen with some yellow feathers on her wings. Doesnt seem to bother her at all

The vet gave me some meds in case it was a liver issue.

No change to the feathers

Needless to say her diet is mainly dry pellets, made by the same avian vet

pest0

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you all! I will probably end up taking her to the vet just for a routine check and just for peace of mind :)