• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cages for cape parrots

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
At the very, absolute bare minimum your bird needs to be able to stretch their wings out. Otherwise you risk injury and muscle atrophy.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
At the very, absolute bare minimum your bird needs to be able to stretch their wings out. Otherwise you risk injury and muscle atrophy.
could she still stretch in their? remember she’ll be out 8/10 hours

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
could she still stretch in their? remember she’ll be out 8/10 hours
I'm aware of your plan. She will still be in the cage for 14-16 hours a day if everything goes to your plan. That is a LONG time to not be able to stretch out.

Average wingspan for a cape is 25 inches/ 63.5 cm. If you have a cage that is 63.5x63.5 and she stands in the middle she will be able to stretch - provided there are no toys in the way. Minimum cage size is supposed to be 1.5x the width of your bird's wingspan and just as deep, which would be 95cm x 63.5cm

As I have said, my Jardine's is in a cage that is just big enough for him and he is out of the cage from 7am to 8pm everyday, sometimes longer. He was kept in a cage that was far smaller for 19 years and now barely flies.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
I'm aware of your plan. She will still be in the cage for 14-16 hours a day if everything goes to your plan. That is a LONG time to not be able to stretch out.

Average wingspan for a cape is 25 inches/ 63.5 cm. If you have a cage that is 63.5x63.5 and she stands in the middle she will be able to stretch - provided there are no toys in the way. Minimum cage size is supposed to be 1.5x the width of your bird's wingspan and just as deep, which would be 95cm x 63.5cm

As I have said, my Jardine's is in a cage that is just big enough for him and he is out of the cage from 7am to 8pm everyday, sometimes longer. He was kept in a cage that was far smaller for 19 years and now barely flies.
ah ok that makes sense! i’ll just have to get her and then upgrade her cage

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
ah ok that makes sense! i’ll just have to get her and then upgrade her cage
spoke to my family and they are ok with the new cage idea! but they want to wait till she’s here but they are fine with getting one after she’s here. so hey ho it will happen but not in the ideal way

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
It would save money just getting the big one to start with rather than upgrade, upgrade, upgrade...

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
It would save money just getting the big one to start with rather than upgrade, upgrade, upgrade...
yeah exactly! that’s my opinion but i’ve already gotten it now so it’s a bit late. but i don’t think it’s fair to have her in that one for a bit then change it again

Reactions: Ali

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
yeah exactly! that’s my opinion but i’ve already gotten it now so it’s a bit late. but i don’t think it’s fair to have her in that one for a bit then change it again
ok so i think they want to wait till she’s here because they want be sure she’s healthy and safe which is fair enough. but they are fine with getting it after

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!