• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cages for cape parrots

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Hi! i’ve got my girl a cage for when she comes but i wanted to see it you thought it would be ok? She’ll only be sleeping in it and have about 10 hours a day out. just wanted to hear your thoughts:)
it’s not this exact one but it’s very very similar to it just a different colour and brand i think

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
For just a sleep cage I would say yes, but I am not sure. I think cape parrots are quite large and need very big cages as they are quite active. I read that they do best in large aviary sized structures, either indoor or outside

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would recommend a larger cage and also one with thicker bar gauge. Also avoid cages that have lift up doors aka guillotine doors.
This is not a good cage for a Cape, IMO.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
I would recommend a larger cage and also one with thicker bar gauge. Also avoid cages that have lift up doors aka guillotine doors.
This is not a good cage for a Cape, IMO.
what cage would you recommend

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I live in the US so don't know what cages they have for sale in your area but I would recommend at least 36" - 48" in length. Depth...maybe 24+". You'll have to convert to metrics. Even though your bird will be out a lot you don't know what might happen in the future and that your bird will have to be caged longer.

Do a search here and see if anyone has posted anything about the cage they use for their Cape. Capes have big beaks and you don't want the bars to be flimsy. Bar spacing probably 3/4", maybe up to 1".

I think that Montana brand bird cages are available to you and I've read that those are generally good quality cages.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a Jardine's who is similar in size to a Cape, and he's in a 33x25 King's Aluminum. I find it to be bare minimum for him; he's only in it for bedtime also but he plays SO MUCH. In fact, based on average wingspan, I'm a little under:

NkRCMUM5RTY2RkJGMzA1MEFDNTA6ZDkwZjM2MjA3ZDVmYzE5MGM5MjBmZGY3MzU1NGJlODA6Ojo6OjA=.jpeg

Ideally even if the bird won't be spending much time in the cage, you'll want something that they can stretch their wings in. I've also heard Capes can be pretty rough on powder coating, driving some owners to Aluminum or Stainless Steel cages.

You'll also want something with a bit wider than 1/2" bar spacing... Ripley would really struggle climbing half inch since his beak is so large

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
i
I have a Jardine's who is similar in size to a Cape, and he's in a 33x25 King's Aluminum. I find it to be bare minimum for him; he's only in it for bedtime also but he plays SO MUCH. In fact, based on average wingspan, I'm a little under:

View attachment 347417

Ideally even if the bird won't be spending much time in the cage, you'll want something that they can stretch their wings in. I've also heard Capes can be pretty rough on powder coating, driving some owners to Aluminum or Stainless Steel cages.

You'll also want something with a bit wider than 1/2" bar spacing... Ripley would really struggle climbing half inch since his beak is so large
think my cage does cover the minimum? at the moment i have literally no space for something larger due to my small room but in a few years we are moving so i will be able to upgrade then however not sure how i feel about having to wait years

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
i’m looking into the rainforest belize large cage it looks great. i just really really need to figure out a way to be able to have it

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
i

think my cage does cover the minimum? at the moment i have literally no space for something larger due to my small room but in a few years we are moving so i will be able to upgrade then however not sure how i feel about having to wait years
Your cage is 44cm by 62cm, which is about 17 inches by 24 inches. Your bird will not even be able to stretch their wings in that cage, sadly. You'd need at an extreme minimum a cage that is 25x25 inches or about 63.5x63.5cm. That would be the equivalent of you living in a closet that if you held arms out, your fingers touched the walls.

That also is just a cage without any perches or toys, which further limits the available space. Can you imagine being in a room where you can barely move for 14 hours a day?

Your bird really needs a larger cage than that. 38x25 (96.5 cm by 63.5) would be the smallest I'd personally go.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Your cage is 44cm by 62cm, which is about 17 inches by 24 inches. Your bird will not even be able to stretch their wings in that cage, sadly. You'd need at an extreme minimum a cage that is 25x25 inches or about 63.5x63.5cm. That would be the equivalent of you living in a closet that if you held arms out, your fingers touched the walls.

That also is just a cage without any perches or toys, which further limits the available space. Can you imagine being in a room where you can barely move for 14 hours a day?

Your bird really needs a larger cage than that. 38x25 (96.5 cm by 63.5) would be the smallest I'd personally go.
this is the exact cage

i do want the rainforest one for her though but trying to figure the best way to fit it. could you send me a link to a few you like? i promise you i’m not trying to give my bird a bad life. i will do everything in my power to make it all right!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
780mm is 30 inches, 520mm is 20 inches

So the width is fine, but the depth is still small.

No one is calling you a bad owner:) you wouldn't be here asking questions if that were true!

I don't know the cages available in the UK sadly, or what standard sizing you have to go looking.

It's also difficult because the size you need is often "macaw size" but you need more medium bird bar spacing (around 19mm)

If I were looking for a new cage right now, I honestly don't even know what I'd buy.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
780mm is 30 inches, 520mm is 20 inches

So the width is fine, but the depth is still small.

No one is calling you a bad owner:) you wouldn't be here asking questions if that were true!

I don't know the cages available in the UK sadly, or what standard sizing you have to go looking.

It's also difficult because the size you need is often "macaw size" but you need more medium bird bar spacing (around 19mm)

If I were looking for a new cage right now, I honestly don't even know what I'd buy.
ok thank you for the help!

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
ok thank you for the help!
i’ll have a look at what’s on amazon for with larger depth! if not i’ll have to get one of those branded more expensive ones! but i don’t mind as long as she’s happy!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Have you already got the cage you originally posted? You could always use it to upgrade another one of your birds if they have one smaller than it.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Have you already got the cage you originally posted? You could always use it to upgrade another one of your birds if they have one smaller than it.
yes i have got it but it was where i kept my IRN but he’s got a slightly different one now. i don’t actually have room or i would use it for the cockatiels. but i honestly don’t mind it’s not like it was super expensive or anything. it will be worth it!

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
i’m actually struggling to find one with enough depth. even the amazon/ cockatoo ones only have a depth around 53cm. how do you think the bird will cope in my cage considering she’s going to be out 8-10 hours a day.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This one might be okay - 102 x 76cm but the bar spacing is 22mm: LIBERTA ENTERPRISE 2ND EDITION TALL OPEN TOP CAGE

You can always look into getting a custom cage. I got mine from Rosemead Aviaries because I couldn't find a cage large enough for a medium sized bird. This is their website: Home

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think 22mm would be fine :)

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
spoken to my parents and measured the room. the cage i found seems great but it’s going to be very hard to fit it in with the other cages in the end. how will she cope in a cage about 10cm less depth than recommend? as well as smaller bar spacing. my parents reallyyy don’t want me to have to get another cage. my mum doesn’t mind but wants me to wait till after and is worried about money. (we have a spare account for vet money don’t worry we have that whenever needed!) just want to do the right thing for everyone