• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caged Indian ringneck

Bird besti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Animals friend
Hi everyone. So, I have another question. My parrot who have feathers and lives in cage is not tamed. She is (I guess that it's a girl but not sure) more than 4 years old. She is happy with me and my mother but she is very uncomfortable with my father and sister. She don't allows them to sit with her in one room alone. She just screams to the peak. And to even strangers, she shows extreme fear. Whether they are guests or friends, she is never friendly. I've seen other's birds who are so social. I know that it varies among birds but this of her behaviour is very inconvenient. None of us ever hurted her or crossed her boundaries but she still hates them. I am confused, can she be trained now ???

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
In my experience with my IRN, they can be much wilder and much harder to gain trust than other species. I've had mine for 2 years now and only tolerates me, anyone else is clearly a preditor to him and he will do anything to get away!
Maybe allow them to do some touch training with your bird, do some simple trust exercises that don't involve getting all too close.
My ringneck is especially terrified of hands/fingers, that's something to keep in mind.
Do you have a picture of the bird? At 4 years old a male IRN would've developed a full ring by now, if not, it's a female!

Branch

Meeting neighbors
I'd say feeding your bird is the best way to gain its trust. Feed it some fruits, and veggies, if she accepts, a pretty nice step in the right direction.