• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage

Redwyne

Moving in
Real Name
Redwyne
Hello
What age should I transfer my baby African gray to cage ?

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Where are you keeping your baby now?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When my macaw was a baby he was transferred to a cage when he was old enough to constantly and easily get himself out of his big brooder box (huge plastic storage tub) and when he was able to perch. The perches were put down very low so there was no chance of physical injury if he did fall. Food and water dishes were hung next to his perch and a shallow set were placed on the floor too.
When he came to live with me his cage was much larger and taller than his baby practice cage at the breeders. I put a cozy little box in at rest times and at night incase he wanted to use it and also had his perches and food dishes very low down. I ended up making a temporary platform perch for him as his little baby legs were still building up strength and coordination and they got tired from perching pretty fast.

Redwyne

Moving in
Real Name
Redwyne
When my macaw was a baby he was transferred to a cage when he was old enough to constantly and easily get himself out of his big brooder box (huge plastic storage tub) and when he was able to perch. The perches were put down very low so there was no chance of physical injury if he did fall. Food and water dishes were hung next to his perch and a shallow set were placed on the floor too.
When he came to live with me his cage was much larger and taller than his baby practice cage at the breeders. I put a cozy little box in at rest times and at night incase he wanted to use it and also had his perches and food dishes very low down. I ended up making a temporary platform perch for him as his little baby legs were still building up strength and coordination and they got tired from perching pretty fast.
What scares me he do the same he gets out of his brooder in the morning not sure how ! It has top opening but he manage to open it and get out ! Tomorrow he turns 8 weeks so do you think he is ready ? I have a big cage with many perchs but I have one in bottom

Attachments

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He needs the warmth of the brooder till he’s fully feathered.

Do we get some pics of your cute baby?

Redwyne

Moving in
Real Name
Redwyne
What scares me he do the same he gets out of his brooder in the morning not sure how ! It has top opening but he manage to open it and get out ! Tomorrow he turns 8 weeks so do you think he is ready ? I have a big cage with many perchs but I have one in bottom

He needs the warmth of the brooder till he’s fully feathered.

Do we get some pics of your cute baby?
Yes just took them, and thanks for your reply I really appreciate it. He is still growing some feathers on his neck and under his wings

Attachments

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It’s never recommended (because it’s a bad idea and often very dangerous) to house different species together, if I were you I’d make sure I had a good size cage for each bird.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
glad to see that u are prepared, given their ages most likely they are just showing their love for each other

Redwyne

Moving in
Real Name
Redwyne
glad to see that u are prepared, given their ages most likely they are just showing their love for each other
Yeah I noticed no aggression between them so far but still observing hope they get along I’m not willing to let one go kinda got attached to them both in just few days, best experience ever for me.

but you think it’s ok to keep the gray in cage or it’s too early?

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
i personally don't have enough experience with parrots that young so unfortunately i don't know too much so i would recommend listening to the advice of other more experienced members, sorry i couldn't help much

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
I have 3 different cages one for each and they are huge
They acting weird together like one is feeding the other !
I don't have any other advice, but I would take the happy hut and mirrors out of the cage. It can cause lots of behavioral issues when they are older.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy huts can lead to strangulation, crop impactions, stuck feet, and even death. Mirrors are mentally bad for them cuz it makes the hormonal and obsessive