• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage with top that opens? Like it?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is Gigi's cage
1594142229439.png

When I received it, the dowel that held the top open was a bit short and wiggly, plus I don't use normal dowels, so I tossed it. For 2 years I've had boings and a swing attached to the center top of the cage so opening it wasn't an option. I've switched out the cage and just use perches now so that issue is gone. Toys hang from the side curved areas. I'm researching some new adventures for my gal and wondered how I can set this up to see if Gigi would like it hanging out at the top. Does anyone open the top of their cage? If so, how is it secure, and how does your bird get to it? Gigi is fully flighted but the position above seems awkward for flying to.

Thanks friends!

Mantis64

This is Gigi's cage
View attachment 345127

When I received it, the dowel that held the top open was a bit short and wiggly, plus I don't use normal dowels, so I tossed it. For 2 years I've had boings and a swing attached to the center top of the cage so opening it wasn't an option. I've switched out the cage and just use perches now so that issue is gone. Toys hang from the side curved areas. I'm researching some new adventures for my gal and wondered how I can set this up to see if Gigi would like it hanging out at the top. Does anyone open the top of their cage? If so, how is it secure, and how does your bird get to it? Gigi is fully flighted but the position above seems awkward for flying to.

Thanks friends!
I had one like that to make it secure you would need to put the dowel perch there.

mak

I have a similar cage top, it's held open with a dowel although I don't see why it wouldn't work to use a natural branch as long as it was thick enough and you cut grooves in the ends to wedge on the bars.
Tooky used to sit on the dowel but now he climbs up and sits on the back part of the open cage so that he can sing to the wall. :roflmao:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have a couple of those cages but I only open the top to move toys etc.

I´ve probably only had the top open a couple of times. I put the dowel in, making sure it is level and push it right to the bars (they are vertical when the cage is open). Does that make sense? I could post a picture?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ahhh. OK. So I also put the bar quite low down where it is narrower or it won't hold. I push the dowel in so it's pretty sturdy.
IMG_20200707_202517.jpg

I put it in at an angle then twist so it is straight.
Then push it to the bar that is vertical,
IMG_20200707_202525.jpg

If you have got your dowel in and the doors are wiggling, then lower the dowel more.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara When the dowel wiggled I tossed it in the trash. I bet I could have adjusted it like you are showing. Ugh. I'm so impetuous. Now I get it though. Thanks for taking the time to take pictures. :heart:

I agree @Mizzely it scares me too, but I keep wanting another new experience for Gigi. Oddly she doesn't go on top if I just put some perches and toys up there. I was thinking she would like sneaking up through the cage. Like how she loves to pop her head through the top nesting door or escape through a food door.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I found a perch that wedges in perfectly, very secure. I could hang a toy from it for access. Gigi was very interested, eying it from the closest perch, but she's been out all day and I need to get something done. So I introduced it today and tomorrow she most likely won't be afraid.

1594150704539.jpeg