• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage wire loose

michbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
michelle
Hello Avian community, I have a Canary cage that is a bit loose wire are a bit loose in certain areas. I want to know how to secure them without risk of harming the bird. Are there any safe glues?
Or welding?

It's like 7 tiny spots only. May I varnish the exterior of the cage? without the bird inside obviously.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
You can use stainless steel or aluminum metal. The others contain zinc which is toxic. You can use glues that are non toxic.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
I've never used glue to fix things but I've used non toxic glue sticks and I think Elmer's white glue is non toxic. Unfortunatly hot glue would be one of your best bets, I don't think a canary or finch could break it into pieces. But I don't know much about them.

michbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
michelle
Hot glue sounds like it would work better..

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Hot glue should be fine provided you let it completely dry before the birds go near it. A safe bet would be 24 hours. Are the birds likely to pick at it? While it shouldn't do any harm, ingesting glue is probably not the best.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hot glue would probably be ok for a bird like a canary that doesn't really chew. It should be safe as soon as it's fully cooled down, which only takes 10 or 15 minutes. However, it does tend to leave little glue 'strings' so would need to be very careful to pull all of those off first as they would be very appealing to a canary.