• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage upgrade for Milton...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The flock is currently having cage upgrades being done. Now, it's Milton's turn. So,I'm asking for advice from all of you...please help me out with suggestions and advice...help Milty with moving into new digs!

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Do you have the cage ready or are you trying to find a good one?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My guys just jump right in. Is Milton shy with new things?
A little...it takes him a little time sometimes to "warm" up to new things.,.it helps if he gets used to a new thing before being introduced to it...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Do you have the cage ready or are you trying to find a good one?
Right now I'm researching the idea...but it's definitely the goal.... :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I can send you some links for ones I am looking at for Elvis. I had been hoping to find a nice used one but at least around here, they seem to get snapped up right away. I tried the putting the new next next to the old one idea for Sunny and it was a big fail. He never would have anything to do with it. Now, I do the here's your new cage in you go thing. LOL. That probably sounds terrible but it has worked out fine for me. Even with Rosie. I agonized about putting him in a new cage and he was completely fine with it. But if you don't think that would work you can try putting some treats or toys in the cage and just letting Milton explore without actually shutting the door and let him adjust slowly.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Put a wet in the new cage or on top and he will forget it’s new and different! :rofl:
...a cockatoo shower...what a great idea! Whenever Milty wanted a WET,he could just step into his own shower...

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch, and most Pionus parrots, was cage aggressive and somewhat scared of new things. They like to observe for a while then decide if it's safe. When I got him a new cage he popped right into it, and his cage aggression went away with the new unknown house. I left the old tiny one he started life here in, and it was Nerds beloved home his whole life.
He would fly over to the old one and just sit on it like he was visiting a old friend. Hopefully whatever you pick will be similar that Milty will just be so happy to have a new pad he'll go right in.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
...a cockatoo shower...what a great idea! Whenever Milty wanted a WET,he could just step into his own shower...
I wouldn't want to pay that water bill! :hehe:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Not sure the size you're looking for Bob, if you're upsizing, that may not be big enough.
Also those bars might not hold up to a large beak. Is Milton destructive?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Not sure the size you're looking for Bob, if you're upsizing, that may not be big enough.
Also those bars might not hold up to a large beak. Is Milton destructive?
I actually saw that particular cage. You do have very valid concerns about it-as I do. The size is definitely a concern...the bigger a cage is for any bird,the better!
Also,the bars...although Milty isn't destructive,I always wonder about durability.
All in all,it's a good cage...but I don't think it's good enough for that sucker... :umbrella2:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I actually saw that particular cage. You do have very valid concerns about it-as I do. The size is definitely a concern...the bigger a cage is for any bird,the better!
Also,the bars...although Milty isn't destructive,I always wonder about durability.
All in all,it's a good cage...but I don't think it's good enough for that sucker... :umbrella2:
Wow what size are you looking for Bob? Just curious. My Fred is an entirely different bird, and is smaller than the bird in that cage. He would look like a budgie in it but I am sure he would love it. Haha!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I just looked at those cage dimensions. That's actually more narrow than Fred's cage! I think they must photo shop the pictures in those! Good God! And I do believe the bars aren't as thick. Geez I love the cage though. I have heard a lot of people talking about stainless steel though....hmmmm.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm looking at BIG cages...stainless steel bars too...just like Milty's cage has now... ;)