• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage training

Rei.dot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rei cooper
So my new boy (Wammu) is turning out to be much harder to train compared to my first girl (Yuki) . He just doesn’t recognize the cage as his house , when It comes time to fly I’ve started to dread it he will not perch on the cage to rest and doesn’t understand that he can go in his safe zone whenever he needs , I cant get him to go back in short . I don’t want Yuki to miss out on her exercise but Wammu needs way more time cage training than she did. But of course he’s the first one to zoom out as soon as the gate is cracked open .I could really use some advice to get him to recognize that the cage is his safe place . I’ve tried putting treats and water on top of the cage to entice him over but he’s shown no interest despite being much more food motivated than Yuki .

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Any chance that the cage top can be removed so he could climb down into the cage if he's out?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Looks to me like the two aren't truly bonded, else he'd follow Yuki everywhere. Even your profile pic shows him preening Yuki but she doesn't seem to be enjoying it, more 'accepting' it because she has no choice.
What size is the cage?
No food outside of the cage and he'll go back in to eat (eventually).
How much flight time are you allowing them? If you're letting them out and wanting them to go back after 20 minutes that's not going to work without target training or similar, which needs to be started with in-the-cage training.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Parakeets eat frequently, leave the food and water inside the cage. Although my bird Keoki spends most of his time outside his cage. And when Gary the parakeet comes for a visit, he too sleeps on one of Keoki’s bungees.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's what I do- no food or water outside the cage. Gigi has her cage door open all afternoon and she goes back and forth for a quick bite or drink. At the end of out time, I put a Nutri-berry inside the cage and she happily returns. I'm not tricking her, she knows that means I will close the cage door.

But @Monica makes me wonder- could the cage be accommodated in such a way that it's easier or more enticing to return?

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Do you have perches on the outside of the cage near the open cage door? This makes it easier for them to enter back into the cage. Don't put food outside the cage. His hunger will eventually win and he will seek out his cage. Sam is out all day but pops into her cage for food and water.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One other suggestion: Try not to compare the two birds. They are different and will learn from your teachings but the learning time may be different. I also suggest you work with the new bird while the resident bird is not in same room. They could be intimidating each other.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Yes, I agree - attach a rope perch, or any kind just outside the door they come out of from the cage. He will learn soon enough I imagine!

Rei.dot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rei cooper
Looks to me like the two aren't truly bonded, else he'd follow Yuki everywhere. Even your profile pic shows him preening Yuki but she doesn't seem to be enjoying it, more 'accepting' it because she has no choice.
What size is the cage?
No food outside of the cage and he'll go back in to eat (eventually).
How much flight time are you allowing them? If you're letting them out and wanting them to go back after 20 minutes that's not going to work without target training or similar, which needs to be started with in-the-cage training.
I doubt they are bonded , they get along well don’t get me wrong hardly any squabbling but they eat and play together no problem but I definitely get a “roommate” feel rather a bonded feel . The cage is 20x20x30 and can’t open from the top it does have a very large sliding door that I use a carabiner to lock open . They get about three hours minimum on my busiest days either morning or midday .

Rei.dot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rei cooper
One other suggestion: Try not to compare the two birds. They are different and will learn from your teachings but the learning time may be different. I also suggest you work with the new bird while the resident bird is not in same room. They could be intimidating each other.
I thought about that , Wammu will go and perch on a shelf or the curtain rod instead of their jungle gym or the two other perch places I have while Yuki will either sit on the perches or the cage it’s self . She’ll visit him on the shelf but goes back to the cage could she be claiming the spots ?

Rei.dot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rei cooper
I thought about that , Wammu will go and perch on a shelf or the curtain rod instead of their jungle gym or the two other perch places I have while Yuki will either sit on the perches or the cage it’s self . She’ll visit him on the shelf but goes back to the cage could she be claiming the spots ?
I also don’t mean to compare them in a bad way he’s a good boy and picked up on treats and other foods and such way quicker than Yuki has it’s more so I can learn what the best way to accommodate for his personality which so far has been completely opposite of her .

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That cage sounds rather small for two budgies who aren't bonded. While you think it ought to be where he feels at home, it's entirely possible that he doesn't feel safe or comfortable in the cag andis reluctant to go into it as a result.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
That cage sounds rather small for two budgies who aren't bonded. While you think it ought to be where he feels at home, it's entirely possible that he doesn't feel safe or comfortable in the cag andis reluctant to go into it as a result.
^^^^^^^^^^This is exactly what I was thinking when I asked.
As they're not a bonded pair you either need a larger cage or Wammu needs his own.