• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage suggestions?

luckyducks

Moving in
We're getting ready to welcome a little pineapple GCC towards the end of June, and I'm working on slowly getting things ready before that. We're slowly switching out our pans with ceramic, bird-proofing the house, removing dangerous chemicals and the like. I've got some perches and toys collected and I'll have more later on as well, but I'm going to buy pellets closer to its actual arrival. We have a well-recommended avian vet nearby, and bird-sitters plus boarding options available.

I'm having a bit of a hard time choosing a cage though. The bird will receive plenty of outside cage time, so I think I've currently narrowed down my choices to the Prevue Flight Cage and A&E's flight cage (links below).

Prevue
A&E

Any preferences either way? I'm hearing conflicting information about the Prevue cage's bar spacing, and generally more favourable opinions on A&E from what I've seen. Still, I'd love to hear your input, and any other suggestions if you have them! I do think within this budgetary range would be better, but if you have a cage you really, truly love, feel free to say so anyway.

As an aside, if any of your GCCs have favourite toys, perches, and especially foraging toys, let me know! As well as any other essentials you think I might have forgotten :)

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I have a HQ Flight cage and I love it for my Jenday, the bar spacing would still work for a GCC. Gives them a lot of room to stretch their wings.
Congratulations on getting your bird soon!

SgtNikola

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Finn
I have a pretty nice cage from Prevue, haven't had issues with bar spacing, but mine isn't a flight cage. I believe bar spacing should be between 1/4" to 1/2" (anyone else feel free to correct me).
My GCC loves boings, rope ladders, and cargo netting to climb/perch on.
I've made most of his foraging toys, he loves digging through old egg cartons for seeds (favorites being sunflowers and millet), he also likes these foraging cubes I learned how to make from a youtube channel called flocktalk, here's a link:
He has a soft spot for footies and any kind of toys he can shake around or climb on. His favorite toys have bells, he's killed several already lol.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have my BCC in this one
Web Store

So far it's great. It rolls really easily and is quite spacious. I particularly love the little half moon door above the main door.

My conure is a baby so I'm kind of teaching him about foraging. So far I've been using those "busy balls" that are slatted and I stuff a bunch of stuff in there.

luckyducks

Moving in
Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up going with the A&E sandstone one because I snagged 25% off from Petco with an obscure code, and the shipping was free :p But I'm definitely looking into chew and foraging toys now, as well as more cage setup items and whatnot. Do y'all use stainless steel bowls or just the regular ones a cage might come with?

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up going with the A&E sandstone one because I snagged 25% off from Petco with an obscure code, and the shipping was free :p But I'm definitely looking into chew and foraging toys now, as well as more cage setup items and whatnot. Do y'all use stainless steel bowls or just the regular ones a cage might come with?
I think that most of them come with stainless steel. My HQ came with plastic cups and they seem to work for the time being. I tend to use what the cages came with. My A&E corner cage came with stainless steel.

And awesome deal on the cage! Congrats!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I love a sale! I got my cage on sale, too. I use the bowls it comes with, too, they (I have three floor cages) seem to be slightly different sizes and if you have the ring type holder, you have to use those. They're large bowls but my birds all manage. Manufacturers don't seem to realize what they consider a cage for a medium bird, we consider for a small bird and so the bowls are all huge with no easy way to replace them.