• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cage size

Abbyjenna29

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
i understand this question may seem amateur,but i figured this is as good a place as any to post this question.
how big of a cage should i get for a goffins cockatoo? i understand as big as you can afford but, i'm thinking of getting this one: Archie & Oscar Freddy Bird Aviary & Reviews | Wayfair . but am not sure on if it would be an acceptable size. please bear in mind that this will be my first g2, and even my first cockatoo.

thanks in advance.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Well he or she would chew his way out in days:) Never go for a wooden cage! I also think that is too small. @sunnysmom @faislaq and @JLcribber might offer suggestions:)

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Wood cages would not be a good idea. They love to chew on things and might make quick work of the cage.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I agree with the others, a goffins would chew through that in minutes. I also believe it to be wayyy too small and the bar spacing is also too small. Cages that are much taller than they are wide also restrict wing movement and movement in general. I personally believe the AA Grande Dometop to appear pretty good for cockatoos. I think it's screw-less, which is perfect for destructive, intelligent birds like goffins. If you're looking more for sheer size and a cage that is wider than tall, natural inspirations double cages like this one with the divider removed are always a great option.
But of course, any parrot cage will need lots and lots of varied perches and toys, especially for cockatoos. If they decide they like one toy the best, you better believe you're buying a bunch of those toys or reconstructing the destroyed bits of it until the next shipment arrives.
Also, are you thinking about adopting the handicapped goffins you mentioned in a previous thread? There would definitely have to be cage/perch modifications for a handicapped bird, depending on the severity of their foot injury. They would still be a wonderful companion, you'd just have to be prepared for even more possible difficulty and potential medical issues. I wish you the best, please be sure to ask any questions you have!
Just posting this until the experienced 'too owners come along with more specific, informed info.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That is a FINCH/PARAKEET cage. Not even close to being appropriate.

Why do you want a cockatoo? What kind of birds and experience do you have how?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@BirdField is spot on, wider is better than tall especially if you have a special needs bird in case they fall. For a goffins, I would recommend a cage with good latches on all of the doors, something they can't open from inside. Our Luv Bug came to us with a cage with a simple sliding, flipping latch that she had never opened in her 6 years, then last month she started letting herself out so we had change her cage. Much cheaper to just get the right cage the first time. ;) That said, our new cage does have screws so let's hope she doesn't figure those out anytime soon. Avian Adventures cages are the only ones I've heard of without screws.

Also, our cage has 5/8 inch bar spacing. 1" would be too big and I think much smaller would be too small; you don't want your bird getting stuck.

For a great special needs set up you should see the setup @Brittany0208 has for her vasa Java. He only has 1 leg, so you might not need to go quite as extreme but she's come up with some great solutions, including the cage itself.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
i understand this question may seem amateur,but i figured this is as good a place as any to post this question.
how big of a cage should i get for a goffins cockatoo? i understand as big as you can afford but, i'm thinking of getting this one: Archie & Oscar Freddy Bird Aviary & Reviews | Wayfair . but am not sure on if it would be an acceptable size. please bear in mind that this will be my first g2, and even my first cockatoo.

thanks in advance.
I have the Midwest Critter Nation single unit for my special needs bird, and it is PERFECT! My bird is 18-20 inches from beak to tail and still has plenty of room to move around and flap his wings without hitting the bars or sides. The only downside for some may be that there are no feeder doors because the cage is originally designed for ferrets, rats, guinea pigs, etc. However, you can find feeder bowls and install them with a good pair of bolt cutters. Personally, I don't need a feeder door for Java because I can just open the door and grab his bowls. As far as security, there is no way for him to access the door locks from the inside. Each door as two vertical knobs that have to be squeezed at the same time in order to open the door. Also, there are no poop trays, but that could be easily worked around.
I would feel confident in putting a Goffin's or even a Grey in a cage of this size, but nothing bigger unless you go with a double unit. That being said, I have modified the cage to make everything more easily accessible for Java since he has mobility issues and doesn't know how to fly.
Hopefully this helps, and if you have anymore questions about Java's cage or setup, I'd gladly do what I can to help out :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

A Goffins has an average wingspan of about 26.5". That means that at the very least, the cage should be as deep as their wings are wide, and preferably 1.5 to 2 times that. A cage at least 40" wide by 27" deep would be the minimum I would do.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
That is a cute cage, but it won't be cute for very long with a cockatoo!! And it's really a bit too small as well. I think the desirable size can depend on how the cage will be used. If you're going to be home a lot and the bird will spend a lot of time out of it's cage, on a play stand of some sort, then a smaller cage can work. My medium sulfur crested has a cage that's only 2'x3", BUT - she is a free-range cockatoo, and the only time I ever shut her in is when something is happening in my house that makes me worry for her safety (like a visitor brings a dog in). If you need your bird to spend more time in it's cage, then a larger cage is best. I think Goffins are pretty active, and it will need the space. If this is a handicapped 'too, then think about how the cage design will lend itself to modifications, if needed. Good luck with this - cockatoos are my favorite, though I've never spent time with a Goffins.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Definitely that cage is way too small for a goffin. And my goffin would have that cage destroyed in about an hour. This is the minimum recommended: Goffin Cockatoos - 24" x 36" x 48" minimum cage size with 3/4" to 1" bar spacing. Places like craigslist and facebook marketplace often have nice large used cages for a good price.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Adventures Mediana Dometop: Avian Adventures Mediana Dometop Bird Cages in White | Petco
It also comes in a play top version but I liked the dometop better for my Goffin's. The next size up is the Avian Adventures Grande with 1" bar spacing and also comes in play top and dometop versions. Amazon.com : Avian Adventures Grande Playtop Bird Cage, White : Birdcages : Pet Supplies I didn't have room for the Grande.
Compare prices at different places because there is a range of prices for these cages.
There are no screws, nuts or bolts needed to assemble them. The dometop does have a breeder door and I would advise putting padlocks on that. My Goffin's unscrewed it and came out of her cage unsupervised which is not a good thing.
If you are getting a special needs Goffin's who has difficulty getting around then you have to take that into consideration and then I might stick with a play top rather than a dometop and use platforms, flattish perches, ladders, etc. The play tops on the Avian Adventures cages are removable so you could keep that off to the side if it's better for the bird.
The Midwest Critter Nation as per Brittany should may also be a good choice for a special needs Goffin's..

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I saved up for a 64”x32” Kings cage for my slender bill, which is a little bigger than a goffins I think. King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More
I realized after I got him you really do need a huge cage, because of all the toys. I used to only be able to put 2-3 larger toys, now I have toys and swings and ladders everywhere while still giving him room to even fly a little. They are very active, so lots of foraging, chewing, and climbing is important. They are also pretty strong , mine can push out the great and pull out the trays that are pretty heavy even for me. I think investing in a nicer cage would be better.

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
I have a cage that is about 3 feet wide, 2 feet high and about 2 1/2 feet deep for Leo, my goffin cockatoo. He really is only in there for the 12 hours of sleep time he has and lots of toys inside. Some birds like wide, some like tall. Leo likes wide over talk because he can't fly, so if he were to fall, its best that his cage isn't that tall so he won't injure himself. Unless you have bird experience, and I don't mean cockatiels or budgies, you really shouldn't get any sort of cockatoo. I owned (or should I say they owned me) parrots and birds for over seven years ish before getting my cockatoo and did extensive reaserch for over a year before getting Leo. What bird experience and knowledge do you currently have? What do you invision owning a parrot such as a cockatoo to be like? Exactly what are your expectations? Besides sleep time, which ABSOLUTELY has to be 10-12 hours, how long will the bird be in the cage? Do you know how expensive bird toys are? Do you know that you will be buying many $20+ dollar toys a week? Do you know that it is essential for your parrot to DESTROY said expensive toys for their mental well being? What do you plan on feeding the bird? Seeds won't cut it and neither will just straight up pellets. Parrots need a large variety of veggies and all sorts of foods that most people wouldn't think about feeding a parrot. What happens when the bird screams at the top of it's lungs for hours on end or begins to joy scream? And they WILL scream. Cockatoos are, I think, one of the most common parrots to be dropped off as rescues because they are so loud and extremely difficult to take care of. While goffins are easier than your umbrella cockatoo, they are still cockatoos. I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting a cockatoo, I just want you to do a self check and a reality check because parrots everywhere suffer from people making decisions based off of incomplete or false information. No animal should have to suffer due to a mistake as large as impulse buys. If you want to know more about owning a goffin cockatoo, please feel free to ask me anything. I know I sound lecture-y right now, but this is just because I don't know what your intentions and expectations are. In my defense, and all the other people who jumped onto this thread, we as cockatoo owners tend to go into interrogation and information bombardment mode when we see people interested in cockatoos because they are a big commitment and we know first hand that they are smarter than you could even imagine. Please just read this post and answer these questions. It doesn't have to be in the form of a post response. Just answer them in your head and if the answer is that you didn't know some of the stuff I brought up, then simply put the pause button on getting a cockatoo and take some time to do some reaserch. Maybe even visit a cockatoo or talk to a cockatoo owner. Knowledge is power and you can never have too much knowledge when it comes to parrots.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I have a cage that is about 3 feet wide, 2 feet high and about 2 1/2 feet deep for Leo, my goffin cockatoo. He really is only in there for the 12 hours of sleep time he has and lots of toys inside. Some birds like wide, some like tall. Leo likes wide over talk because he can't fly, so if he were to fall, its best that his cage isn't that tall so he won't injure himself. Unless you have bird experience, and I don't mean cockatiels or budgies, you really shouldn't get any sort of cockatoo. I owned (or should I say they owned me) parrots and birds for over seven years ish before getting my cockatoo and did extensive reaserch for over a year before getting Leo. What bird experience and knowledge do you currently have? What do you invision owning a parrot such as a cockatoo to be like? Exactly what are your expectations? Besides sleep time, which ABSOLUTELY has to be 10-12 hours, how long will the bird be in the cage? Do you know how expensive bird toys are? Do you know that you will be buying many $20+ dollar toys a week? Do you know that it is essential for your parrot to DESTROY said expensive toys for their mental well being? What do you plan on feeding the bird? Seeds won't cut it and neither will just straight up pellets. Parrots need a large variety of veggies and all sorts of foods that most people wouldn't think about feeding a parrot. What happens when the bird screams at the top of it's lungs for hours on end or begins to joy scream? And they WILL scream. Cockatoos are, I think, one of the most common parrots to be dropped off as rescues because they are so loud and extremely difficult to take care of. While goffins are easier than your umbrella cockatoo, they are still cockatoos. I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting a cockatoo, I just want you to do a self check and a reality check because parrots everywhere suffer from people making decisions based off of incomplete or false information. No animal should have to suffer due to a mistake as large as impulse buys. If you want to know more about owning a goffin cockatoo, please feel free to ask me anything. I know I sound lecture-y right now, but this is just because I don't know what your intentions and expectations are. In my defense, and all the other people who jumped onto this thread, we as cockatoo owners tend to go into interrogation and information bombardment mode when we see people interested in cockatoos because they are a big commitment and we know first hand that they are smarter than you could even imagine. Please just read this post and answer these questions. It doesn't have to be in the form of a post response. Just answer them in your head and if the answer is that you didn't know some of the stuff I brought up, then simply put the pause button on getting a cockatoo and take some time to do some reaserch. Maybe even visit a cockatoo or talk to a cockatoo owner. Knowledge is power and you can never have too much knowledge when it comes to parrots.
This is all great advise. I think the expectation with bringing a cockatoo home is almost having no expectations. They’re extremely loud, destructive, smart, manipulative, bi-polar, and have pliers on their face that can split a walnut into pieces in 2 seconds. Goffins have smaller beaks than an umbrella or Moluccan, but they’re still cockatoos. They’re all the attitude in a smaller package from what my research has told me. I own an Umbrella though so I just imagine him in a smaller package.

The reason I say you should have no expectations is because almost all cockatoos come with baggage from being passed around from house to house. And you have to be willing to deal with anything that may come up. And for those that buy a baby, they have to go through the maturity phase, which is just as difficult.

The most important thing in my opinion, and I don’t have 20 years of cockatoo experience (I have had birds that long. Just not cockatoos) to lean on. The most important thing is cockatoos NEED a person in charge. They NEED someone who when they say something they mean it. And not in an abusive way, but in a respect way. My cockatoo knows when I tell him he has to go into his cage that he’s going into his cage. He doesn’t even put up a fight or a fuss now, but it wasn’t always that way. The first time I ever put him back in his cage when I met him he latched onto the meat of the side of my thumb. He did that a few times more until he realized that he was going back whether he bit me or not. And that I was the boss; when I say something, I mean it. But on the other end treat them with love and talk softly. Which human nature dictates as something hard to do with a creature that has its beak clamped on your hand. If you can’t have an attitude like this when dealing with a cockatoo they will manipulate you to no end. If all goes well they make amazing pets for a very small percentage of the population. For everyone else, they’re downright unable to live with.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That cage is better but check out the info about the company. Amazon.com Seller Profile: VP Direct Wholesale
Being sold via a third party and not Amazon. You can probably find a similar A&E, King's or HQ cage so if there are problems they will probably stand behind their product better.