• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage size if i go to work.

Airman21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Balan Andrei
Hi guys so i got two cockatiels, 4 months old now. The thing is in 2 months i ll start university and go to 250km from home to study there. So the cockatiels will be left in my parents care. My parents work 8 hours so i am thinking as if i can leave the cockatiels inside the cage for 8 hours. The cage is 38 cm x 48cm x 70 cm or (15'' x 19'' x 27,5'' - sorry i m european). Is it big enough for them to stay in it for 8 hours? i usually keep them in my room, let them fly and stuff. (sorry if this is not the correct avenue)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Minimum cage size is 1.5x their wingspan. Cockatiels have about 19.5 in / 49.5 cm wingspans. 1.5x would be about 30 inches or 76cm. You would then want it to be as deep as their wingspan too, leaving you with a minimum size of 76cm x 49.5cm for one bird.

Since they share a cage and are going to be in the cage 8 hours a day, and I would make sure to get them a cage that is double their wingspan wide and at least as deep. That translates to about 100 cm wide and 49.5 cm deep.