• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Size for Outdoors and for Bird Sitting Charlie

Ira B

Meeting neighbors
Hi. I am planning to purchase a cage to use only during daytime, outside on nice days for Charlie. His regular cage is an A&E 32" x 23" play top cage. The cage I'm looking at is only 26" x 20" but it is a bit taller inside than his regular cage. Is that fine for him?
I'm also trying to not go too big because I am having a friend watch him at her house for 2 weeks, and his regular cage is a bit too big for her to fit where she can. The cage will be filled with toys like his regular cage. Also she will have my parrot tree play stand for him to be out a few hours each night as I usually do at home. There will be other times that she will be taking care of him in the future also. Please let me know your thoughts. (I will keep that play top locked shut for safety reasons. The last photo is his regular "home". Thanks.

Attachments

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like a nice cage for outside just make sure he’s always supervised and you frequently and thoroughly clean it to prevent contamination from native birds, plus make sure your friend is aware of all the factors of parrot care such as nonstick ptfe pfoa cookware being off limits as well as any scents

Ira B

Meeting neighbors
Thank your knowledge Mr. Mango. I just picked the cage up yesterday. They already cleaned it before I picked it up, but I did it again, and today I sanitized it with F10sc at a 1:125 dilution. It will not be under a tree but in a shady spot on hot days. It will also be covered or rolled into my garage when he's not using it. I was concerned the cage only has 1/2" bar spacing, but I read that it is fine? Is that correct? Some websites said 1/2"-5/8" and another said 5/8"-3/4" for an Indian Ringneck.
My friend stopped over yesterday to meet Charlie for the first time. He gladly stepped up to her arm and up to her shoulder to play with her hair. At least that went well. She took care of my Yellow Naped Amazon for years, but that was in my house for a couple of hours each day. Charlie isn't used to the house being empty all day and night so I'm moving him in with her. I will fill her in with the scents, but I don't think she uses anything like that because she has sinus problems. She does cook though. If a non stick pan says " no PTFE or pfoa", is that fine? Like the Copper Chef or Gotham Steel pans? Are they ok?
When I get the cage all set up, I will post a photo. Thanks again.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup, Ptfe and PFOA free is fine (i myself actually use the gotham steel stuff), the spacing should be fine for ur IRN,