• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Setup

sriseahawk

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,
I’m in the process of setting up my cage for an upcoming Linnie, and I could use some pointers.

I mostly have it setup to encourage crawling in all three dimensions. There are perches lined up horizontally on two “levels” as well as a rope perch and stairs making for some nice vertical connections.
I have this nice rope-ring toy hanging from the middle, perpendicular to the perches, that should encourage a lot of climbing. This ring toy would block horizontal flight though.
I know that with budgies, you want to give as much room as you can to let them flutter between perches, but is it the same case for Linnies? Should I rethink the setup, or just let her explore when she gets here? I plan to change it up a couple of times a month to help stave off boredom…

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
what brand cage is that? It looks like one I have, except the cup doors are different. Sorry to be nosy, I'm half thinking of getting another cage!

I would consider a few branch perches with smaller diameter as well, they do well on them. Sometimes mine have trouble gripping the fatter ones. Do you have access to unsprayed trees? That's a perfect solution, just google what's bird safe (pine, apple, magnolia, birch are def. ok). Rope also is a favorite. I don't know if all youngsters are like this, but i got one at 7 weeks old and it was very clutzy for awhile. Another at 3 months old was still slightly clutzy. So just be aware it could happen.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
That's really nice!!! Do you want us to help you with the cage altogether or just perch placement?

sriseahawk

Meeting neighbors
what brand cage is that? It looks like one I have, except the cup doors are different. Sorry to be nosy, I'm half thinking of getting another cage!

I would consider a few branch perches with smaller diameter as well, they do well on them. Sometimes mine have trouble gripping the fatter ones. Do you have access to unsprayed trees? That's a perfect solution, just google what's bird safe (pine, apple, magnolia, birch are def. ok). Rope also is a favorite. I don't know if all youngsters are like this, but i got one at 7 weeks old and it was very clutzy for awhile. Another at 3 months old was still slightly clutzy. So just be aware it could happen.
It’s this one :)
I have a few more natural ones that are skinny, but I’m not 100% sure of the wood. Amazon says they are bird safe, but…?

Otherwise, does it seem reasonable to setup for crawling over flying?

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Oh, a Mccage! My parrotlet is in their brand, totally different style though. It's nice quality. I did not know they made the sized one you have; I think this might be what I get if I get one! Thank you :)

The wood is probably ok then. Yes your setup seems reasonable! Once you get your baby home it'll become more obvious if there are places that need something differently. You'll learn where to position the lower perches to avoid getting pooped on from above :)

sriseahawk

Meeting neighbors
That's really nice!!! Do you want us to help you with the cage altogether or just perch placement?

I'll accept help with anything ;)
I know that this will change over time, I just want to make sure that I'm not overcrowding her.

I have also added a seagrass mat to the inside roof, held on with about 20 plastic clothes line clips so it won't budge. She can crawl on the ceiling and hang to her heart's content.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'll accept help with anything ;)
I know that this will change over time, I just want to make sure that I'm not overcrowding her.

I have also added a seagrass mat to the inside roof, held on with about 20 plastic clothes line clips so it won't budge. She can crawl on the ceiling and hang to her heart's content.
I'd add a few more toys to the top unless you plan to add them in the future. And all the perches are fine, I really like them. Don't forget that you can change them if you don't find your bird is comfortable with it

sriseahawk

Meeting neighbors
Updates in!

I added the seagrass mat, moved the edible swing, added a ladder and another climbing net.
There are rattan balls, bells, plenty of shred toys and some wee "bird shoes" for her to go foraging in.

Attachments

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
What a wonderful cage! I love it! :heart:
I'd suggest just checking for any loose threads that the bird's claws and beak could get stuck in. You don't want your future Linnie getting tangled!