• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Setup Help for Old/Blind Cockatiel

Love Birds

Meeting neighbors
I have a 28-year-old lutino cockatiel that has cataracts. I have seen him occasionally preen toys. I've purchased some straw toys that he can preen. I try to get toys that are less threatening and won't injure him. I bought a straw sunflower toy that he likes to talk to; that's right. I guess my bird is not completely blind. The sunflower is not a preening toy, but he likes it. I have also purchased a small pod at Oliver's Garden (Canadian bird store) that I attached on one of the lower bars of his cage. I think he sometimes pulls the shredded paper out of the small birdcage toy I got him. He has a shiny, small disco ball hanging from the top of his cage. I have a mirror attached on one of his lower cage bars and a Pooh's Preening Post (from Oliver's Garden) next to the mirror. He rarely goes on the platform perch, but it is in his cage if he decides to. I finally solved the problem of his going to the bathroom in his water dish. I replaced it with a smaller dish that hooks onto the cage. It is too small for him to sit on. He still drinks water out of it, and I refill it every day. I can always put him in the sink and give him baths. The more I handle him, the more he is comfortable with my handling him. I try to put him back in his cage the same way every time since his sight is limited. I usually gently cup my hands around him when I take him out of his cage or put him back since I don't want him to get afraid and fall. He can still fly, but because he can't see well, he doesn't go far. I have soft rope perches in his cage, but I need to get another diameter for one of his perches so he has variety in diameters of perches. It took him two years to get used to the soft rope perches, but I am glad I persisted. I have four other birds (three lovebirds and an English budgie) on the same floor level that the cockatiel is on. That seems to have perked him up...just hearing them all day. I've introduced all of them very gradually to each other. Daffodil (the cockatiel) loves it when people pay attention to him and talk to him. He loves his time outside of his cage, although I work during the day, so I can't take him out as much as I'd like. He particularly likes it when my friend comes over and plays the guitar and sings (so do my other birds). I have lowered the soft rope perches in his cage. I also put a sheet of foam rubber (had to cut it to fit) on the bottom of the cage and placed two hand towels on top of it (and tucked the hand towels around the foam rubber). Then I put paper towels on top of the towels. He won't hurt himself if he falls in his cage. And he won't ingest the foam rubber since I have it covered with the hand towels and paper towels. One of my lovebirds is very patient with Daffodil and I think senses that he is a bit timid, so he just gets a few inches away from him and just stays put. They will chirp to each other. I feed Daffodil Avicakes, and I try giving him some veggies. He is very picky, though. He does eat shredded carrots. He used to like butternut squash, green and yellow squash. I put some shredded kale in his cage, but he usually tosses it. I need to keep offering him different veggies. He never touches his cuttlebone anymore. I should probably scrape it, and put what I've scraped in his food dish.

Love Birds

Meeting neighbors
I make sure my cockatiel's claws are trimmed regularly since he has the soft rope perches in the cage. I don't want his claws to get stuck on the perches. Also, I inspect the cloth perches to make sure they do not get worn (with threads hanging).

My veterinarian told me once that cockatiels often get night frights and fall off their perches. He suggested to always have some light in the room. Where I live, a lot of people have post lamps in front of their houses. That seems to let enough light into the room where Daffodil is. I have sheer curtains, so the light can filter in easily.