• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cage setup for disabled lovebird?

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Hello all,

Romeo has been having ongoing mobility issues, he went to the avian vet yesterday and he apparently can't feel the bottom two toes of his right leg and tends to have issues staying on a perch. he also doesnt have the grab reflex you expect from a bird foot. Dr woods gave him a very thorough exam and determined xrays were not neccessary since it is not a bone issue, its a nervous system problem.
aside from these mobility issues he's very active, flies just fine, plays with toys, beeps a lot and eats and drinks normally! he just has messed up legs. ive been told by the lady i got him from that she aquired him from someone who had him in a 10 gallon aquarium? i do not know if this is the reason he is losing use of his legs now.

but my question is, what is the best way to set up a cage for a disabled lovebird that is still crazy active?
i lowered all perches and getting soft stuff for the floor of the cage, there is also a triangle net perch, and i plan on getting some flat perches.
what do yall think? (cage is in need of a good wipe down things have just been stressful since Sunny passed) 16742250864442750021202930557742.jpg 16742251295857259726493949752342.jpg

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I don’t have experience in needing this, but I think the cage looks pretty awesome!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Some platform perches in the corners would be good too.
Looks good though. :)

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Platform perches are great especially if you set them up like stairs which will allow your bird to gain some height despite the grip issues. Love the soft padding on the floor. My Walter had gripping issues and he loved padding around on the soft paper towels. I also put vet wrap on most of his perches as he seemed to do better with wider perches and softer perches. I also set up a few perches which angled up at a gentle slope so he could get on them at ground level and move up the perch to get a little higher without having to climb. Love that you are still making his cage fun and encouraging activity even though his mobility is limited.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Looks good!

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Can he climb at all? And what about his fly mobility?
Sounds like a rough situation he lived in before. I’m happy he is with you now.
Cork is in my experience always a nice option. I had a lovebird with arthrosis and had a lot of wooden planks in her cage. Also a I had a foraging box her.
Always have enough for him to sit on. If birds can’t sit on anything beside the floor they tend to hold their poop in.

But so far you seem to do fine.

I’m sorry Sunny died. The lovebird I just mentioned also just died. It’s so hard. I’m happy this little sweetie is now home with you though

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Perhaps have a box at the bottom of the cage filled with crinkle paper, foot toys and some seed to provide mental enrichment while not needing her to use balance

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Can he climb at all? And what about his fly mobility?
he can climb somewhat, he uses his beak and kind of tries to hold on to the bars with his feet but tends to slide down them. he can fly really well, his wings are still perfectly mobile which is really fortunate. sucks ay landing though so when he does fly he's very careful

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Thank you guys for all the ideas! gonna go and get some flat/cork perches w the next paycheck for him :) hoping he will like them and actually use them, lol

i feel so bad about his previous situation, no idea what they were thinking putting him in there and now he is suffering for it at only 5yrs old

Last edited:

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I’m sorry Sunny died. The lovebird I just mentioned also just died. It’s so hard.
it is very hard, I'm sorry about your baby too :( we try our best with what we can do though and that's really all there is