• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage setup for cockatiel!

Merlin da

Strolling the yard
I'm getting a handfed cockatiel from a local breeder in a couple of months and I wanted to show my cage setup for him/her. The cage is 25" wide, 17" deep, and 27" tall. It's a bit small but my cockatiel will be spending a lot of time out of their cage. I also have a small play stand and several rope boings hanging from the ceiling. Let me know if you have any advice. Here is the cage:
IMG_20210103_150745.jpg
IMG_20210103_150955.jpg

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Looks good! :swoon:
Maybe on the top you could add some natural branches and some shreddable toys. On the top I think I see a dangerous metal link on the plastic rings toy. I also think I see some dangerous metal links in the cage. Correct me if I'm wrong. That toy made out of toilet paper roll.. does it have adhesive on it, if so it is dangerous, also if the toilet paper roll was used in the bathroom it's dangerous because of the germs. That metal clip... is it safe? Also what is that little toy that looks like a dog on the top?

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nice set up :)
You may want to find a way to secure those guillotine doors closed.

Merlin da

Strolling the yard
Looks good! :swoon:
Maybe on the top you could add some natural branches and some shreddable toys. On the top I think I see a dangerous metal link on the plastic rings toy. I also think I see some dangerous metal links in the cage. Correct me if I'm wrong. That toy made out of toilet paper roll.. does it have adhesive on it, if so it is dangerous, also if the toilet paper roll was used in the bathroom it's dangerous because of the germs. That metal clip... is it safe? Also what is that little toy that looks like a dog on the top?
Thanks for the advice! I have some shredding toys coming in the mail that I will replace the plastic toys on the play gym with. The small dog thing is just a little plastic toy that I will remove (it is really just decoration). The toilet paper role doesn't have any adhesive on it. It was used from a paper towel role - is that bad? I do have some metal clips that came with the toys to hang them up, but I've never heard that they could be dangerous. Do you think I should hang the toys with rope instead?

Merlin da

Strolling the yard
Nice set up :)
You may want to find a way to secure those guillotine doors closed.
Thanks, they are actually tied closed with a twist tie at the top of them. It's kind of hard to see in the photo.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
And sand or file the cut edge of the ziptie smooth :)

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Thanks for the advice! I have some shredding toys coming in the mail that I will replace the plastic toys on the play gym with. The small dog thing is just a little plastic toy that I will remove (it is really just decoration). The toilet paper role doesn't have any adhesive on it. It was used from a paper towel role - is that bad? I do have some metal clips that came with the toys to hang them up, but I've never heard that they could be dangerous. Do you think I should hang the toys with rope instead?
Okay, so the paper towel toy should be safe. If the clips look like this they are unsafe. 16097209970481515229398.jpg
If they are you should get some safe metal or plastic links from one of the vendors.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Stainless steel quick links are great. If you use pear links like the bells hanging from make sure it’s very tightly closed

4ECF7E9B-FDEB-4B11-BA88-6C9F922C6610.jpeg 855FBE99-251A-459F-A2A6-2D5A4D30BC2E.jpeg

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Young tiels are renowned for being clumsy so you may want to move or add a couple of perches low down for him/her so the fall is more like a little tumble. You will have problems with that rope perch sagging to the bottom of the cage but leave it where it is - it'll be a great way for him/her to climb back up.