• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage setup for a handicapped lovebird?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Hi!
So I have a slightly handicapped lovebird. First of all, Ginger can't fly. She is missing some feathers on her right wing (due to an issue she had as a 13 day old baby), and so she has always struggled to fly. If she falls she can flap enough to keep herself safe, but she really struggles with taking off and trying to fly from point A to point B. (She can never make it and always ends up on a wall, and then climbs the rest of the way) She also was sitting on eggs and raising babies for the past 2 months, (she chose to adopt them) so her wing muscles are weaker than ever. Then she also has a problem with her toes. The two small toes that are closest to each other that point backwards don't really work. They curve towards each other, so they can't hold onto a perch. Ginger also has weak feet and a pretty bad grip on perches in general. Lastly, she also can't sleep with her head pointing backwards and nestled into her shoulder feathers like most birds do. If she tries to do that then she just tips over, and so she can only do that if she is pressed up against a wall. (because it provides stability and keeps her balanced). She has always lived outside, and she currently lives in a little aviary with her two (adopted) babies, and their true mother (Mango, the bird Ginger is bonded to). They are a happy little family, and they never fight. (the babies are only 6 weeks old, so Ginger still gets to mother them).
So long story short: How can I set things up in the aviary to help accommodate her, and is she ok still living outside, or should I move her indoors?
I have ropes and perches going to everything, so she doesn't need to fly anywhere. I want to give her more platforms and stuff so that she doesn't need to worry about holding onto a perch all the time, but I don't want to weaken her feet.
I would really appreciate any ideas that you guys have to help my beautiful little girl. Sorry for the long post!
Here's a drawing showing her curved toes (sorry for the terrible drawing - it's so hard to draw on a computer!)
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 9.45.33 AM.png
Here is a pic of Ginger :)
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 9.59.17 AM.png

Gigibirds

*she is also very happy usually, but now she's getting sad because her babies are growing up.....Is there a way I could cheer her up?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
so they can't hold onto a perch
Looks like she´s perching there? Do you have another picture?

How old is she? If you have had her a long time out there, they I don´t see why you would have to move her indoors, it´s just a case of adding some perches for her. Maybe platform or smaller perches she can get her foot around.

Remove all nest boxes and nooks so the birds in your aviary so the residents are less inclined to lay eggs and sit. Then to promote movement, include foraging . Have treats all over the aviary that they have to search for.

Gigibirds

*those toes can't hold onto a perch - Ginger can, sorry for the confusion

I am going to remove the nesting box soon, but the babies still sleep in it. In two or thee weeks, when they are 8-9 weeks old and fully weaned, I will remove it.
Ginger is still very young, only 8 months old! But she appears to be getting worse, and that's my problem :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Flattish perches and platforms and you can wrap natural perches with vet wrap.
Also pad the bottom of the cage with layers of paper towels or non pilling fleece just in case she falls.
I would move her indoors.

Gigibirds

Thank you for that advice! I might move her indoors, but I'll wait a while first and see how she does with the new perches and stuff. Thanks again! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
But she appears to be getting worse
Worse like? Less able to sleep well on the perch? Less active? Unhappy?
Have you spoken with your vet? Maybe she needs a check up?
if you feel she needs to be indoors, then you could always trial it and see how she goes.

From what you´re saying it sounds like she had one toe on each foot that bends the ¨wrong way¨, a little like my Adelie? She spends a lot of time down on the cage floor. Other fave spots to hang out are on the boing and on the platform swing I made her.

Just a thought, if you bring her inside, be sure to bring in the other hen too if they´ve bonded over those eggs.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She’s a gorgeous little girl! I agree about platforms and wrapped perches. I have a little girl who has foot issues and the platforms and rough, wide perches really help her. Before she was flighted I always padded the bottom of her cage.

Gigibirds

Other fave spots to hang out are on the boing and on the platform swing I made her.
Ginger LOVES her boing! And yes, she has the same thing as Adelie does. Ok so I will padd the aviary, add some more flat perches, and if need be bring her and Mango (the other hen) inside. Thank you guys so much!!! This is really helpful and means a lot to me :)