• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Selection: Play Top vs Others and Sleeper Cage

Lajarox

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone, I hope all is well. So as I continue to prepare for my new addition, I would like to know what u all think about different types of cages. So, I have room for a 36 inch width cage, but I am wondering about getting a play top or flat or dome top. Surprisingly, I have been told by an employee at my local bird shop, that he doesn't recommend play tops for first time bird owners because of cage aggression. I am aware that CAGS are prone to cage aggression...thoughts??? Also, I will be using a sleeper cage as I live in a townhome that isn't small, just not very big and I don't have a room where he can sleep uninterrupted as we go about the house after he has gone down for the night. The sleeper cage will be kept in the laundry room. How big does a sleeper cage need to be? Thanks!!

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Surprisingly, I have been told by an employee at my local bird shop, that he doesn't recommend play tops for first time bird owners because of cage aggression
What is the reasoning behind this? High ground or some such :roflmao: ? They still can hang out on top of a cage.. Playtop or not.
Cage agression can happen with or without a playtop... IMO.
I currently have a dome top for Loki and regret the decision, as he still hangs out on it and gravity is still present and a lot of the poops end up on on the toys that are hung in the cage and aren't all that easy to clean.
With a flat playtop/flat it is easily covered with cage liners. Some even have trays, very easy daily maintenance.
I think it is easiest to decorate/ furbish a flat top (with upper tray and grate) to your specific needs. The next cage I buy will be definetely a flat top.
I also don't think your AG to be will like being taken to the laundry room to sleep aswell, unless you're prepared to spend time with it there (roost).
An interesting read on sleeping for companion birds here:
A sleeper cage still needs to be wingspan (18-20 inch) times 1.5 large. 30x30inch?
I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything less. Some move around during the night.

Lajarox

Meeting neighbors
What is the reasoning behind this? High ground or some such :roflmao: ? They still can hang out on top of a cage.. Playtop or not.
I currently have a dome top for Loki and regret the decision, as he still hangs out on it and gravity is still present and a lot of the poops end up on on the toys that are hung in the cage and aren't all that easy to clean.
With a flat playtop/flat it is easily covered with cage liners. Some even have trays, very easy daily maintenance.
I think it is easiest to decorate/ furbish a flat top (with upper tray and grate) to your specific needs. The next cage I buy will be definetely a flat top.
I also don't think your AG to be will like being taken to the laundry room to sleep aswell, unless you're prepared to spend time with it there (roost).
A sleeper cage still needs to be wingspan (18-20 inch) times 1.5 large. 30x30inch?
I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything less. Some move around during the night.
About the play top, I totally agree with u there. I will read the article, thanks for the input.

Lajarox

Meeting neighbors
OK, thank u sooo much for the read!!! I needed that! That article has made me rethink my entire approach, and it makes complete sense. I did not know that roosting and sleeping were not the same. It makes complete sense to have him roost and sleep in the cage amongst us all, just to feel safe in his flock. And yes, it is silly to think that outdoors things get dead silent and/or pitched dark. Thanks so much, being pointed to an article like that is EXACTLY why this website is so important!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I despise my dome top. The only reason I have it is because I got an insane deal on it. I also hate playtops lol. I much prefer just a flat top so I can do what I want with it. Included playtops are usually so boring!

Height dominance is a myth, and dometops tend to be higher than a playtop anyways so not sure how that advice makes any sense.

logicullos

Meeting neighbors
I don't think having a play-top or a flat top will change anything TBH, coz as what Ulis_Beast said cage aggression could happen anytime it depends on how often your bird is in the cage and what type of toys you have there. :bliss:

Lajarox

Meeting neighbors
Thank you, from the info I have received, that makes complete sense.