• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Cage security

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I was browsing IG last night and came across this video. I thought I'd share it to remind us all to check our cages and make sure they are securely shut. It's not only the big guys who are capable of getting out.
I know this style of door is popular on cages for little birds.

http://instagr.am/p/BxJGkwqFXf2/

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
thanks, it only takes a second for a tragedy to happen

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
it only takes a second for a tragedy to happen
Yes, I know I leave my windows open sometimes etc.
The little finch in the video is safe, obviously her owner was right there, plus she seems to have lots of out of cage time so the house is surely bird proofed for her. But it highlights the ease of a bird opening the door.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Good advice and nice to have a video to show how easy it is even for one small finch to bounce on a door and have it open. I had a female green cheek "MiMi" who would slide her door up.. scuttle out and go to another birds cage ... male green cheek "Pretty Boy Floyd" and she'd lift the door up to his cage and let herself in. Just like a teenager sneaking out of the house to go see her boyfriend. Naughty... naughty Miss MiMi! Of course I freaked out when I saw she was missing from her cage... looked around and found her happy as pie with Floyd. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Securely shut may work for some, but not my U2. Years ago, somehow, my U2 managed to dis-assemble the factory key lock on her California Cage. Yep she took it part from inside her cage. We found parts of it on the floor & in the bottom of her cage. No idea how she did this, but Toos are masters at taking things apart. We kept her locked in when not home, as she could reach out with her foot, pull the spring latch, & open the door. When we got home from work we found mass destruction of the house & she was sitting in her cage looking as cute as could be. My drapes had a 10 inch hole chewed in one panel, the wood trim on my sofa was severely chewed, sofa cushions had holes chewed in them, knick knacks on the wall were chewed, tv cable chewed in 5 places, beads on a stained glass lamp chewed off & laying all over the floor, etc.. We now use a very heavy duty pad lock on her cage. Never assume a tiny bird can't do something. We were glad she didn't get hurt, but dang! never imagined a small bird could do that much damage.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Scary!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yep, that's not a good thing for sure!! I had a cage like that someone gave me except the doors slid up and door and not outward... I never used it but a few times to just hold a bird for a short while. The cage just seemed too small even for the littest of birds.