• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage recommendations for single budgie?

Tessa

Moving in
Hi! This is my first post!

I've been searching for a flight cage for my single budgie and it's been pretty overwhelming. I have a few cages that I've been looking at which I'll list below along with some of my concerns as well. Are HQ or A&E good brands? Please give your opinions on my finds, and perhaps you can give some of your recommendations.

HQ Powder Coated Wrought Iron Flight Cage & Stand
Amazon.com : HQ Flight Cage, Multi Purpose Aviary With Cart Stand, 1 Per Box, 32x21x60"H, Platinum : Flight Cages For Cockatiels : Pet Supplies
Inside Height: 35"
Width: 32"
Depth: 21"
Bar Spacing: 1/2 in.

A&E Powder Coated Wrought Iron Flight Cage & Stand
Amazon.com : A&E CAGE CO 32-Inch by 21-Inch Flight Cage and Stand, Sandstone : Birds Cages : Pet Supplies
Inside Height: 35"
Width: 32"
Depth: 21"
Bar Spacing: 1/2 in.

Prevue Powder Coated Wrought Iron Flight Cage & Stand
Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand, Chalk White : Pet Supplies
Inside Height: 32"
Width: 31"
Depth: 20-1/2"

I'm also curious to know your opinions on powder coated cages, as I've seen concerns of them being toxic, HQ having a few toxicity reports in the past. People seem to agree that with smaller species it is less of a concern (or no concern), but I wanted to mention this because I'm kinda torn. Although I'm not sure if the worries are of the coating itself, or only of the metal underneath being potentially exposed? My budgie doesn't exactly chew the bars of his current cage, and he definitely has never chipped off any paint, but instead he has a habit of running his tongue along the bars as if he's licking them. :laugh: I guess I'm wondering if a powder coated cage would be safe. I realize that budgies can't exactly do much damage in terms of tearing off paint, but I'm interested to see your thoughts.

Thanks if you've made it this far. I'll appreciate any feedback, and I'll appreciate any recommendations even more. Thanks! :D

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello, Welcome to the forum Tessa :fairy2:

I have (Avillon?) powder coating on my lovebirds cage, seems fine.

Those are nice size cages, one thing I notice is the lock type for the front door, I don´t like the lock type on the white cage, just personal preference but I like the locks on the black cage. One of the cages you listed I don´t trust as only one photo avail.

@Ripshod @Lady Jane

Ps, that´s gonna be one happy budgie :)

Tessa

Moving in
Hello, Welcome to the forum Tessa :fairy2:

I have (Avillon?) powder coating on my lovebirds cage, seems fine.

Those are nice size cages, one thing I notice is the lock type for the front door, I don´t like the lock type on the white cage, just personal preference but I like the locks on the black cage. One of the cages you listed I don´t trust as only one photo avail.

@Ripshod @Lady Jane

Ps, that´s gonna be one happy budgie :)
Hi!! Thank you for your welcoming! I appreciate your response and for sharing your input (and quickly, I might add) :D

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I prefer the HQ over the A&E and Prevue because of the double doors. As for lead in the powdercoating, I don't think it's been reported in a few years. With the cages being manufactured in China (as almost all cages are these days), there's always a risk. One thing you can do is to test the paint yourself when the cage comes. I'm not sure of the process behind that, so I will defer to more experienced members.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Those are all good looking cages also...
We would loooove some pictures of your pretty bird!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A&E Powder Coated Wrought Iron Flight Cage & Stand

This one is what I have now. If you notice the door does not go down to the bottom of the cage, there is a space of about 6 inches from the bottom of the cage up to where the door begins. This has been a problem space for me. When you go to get the soiled newspaper out you must crunch it up before taking the paper out in order to remove it. Same for putting new paper inside the cage. If it were a different design for the door placement a little lower its a relatively good cage. One other thing that happens over time are the bolts holding the cart to the cage come a bit lose and I have to get them tight again. The area I am describing is in the red marking I made.

screenshot.png

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Of the 3 I prefer the HQ. BUT, personally I would look for something similar but with horizontal bars. And there's no lead in modern powder coats so that isn't an issue.
Incidentaly the locks on the HQ are one of the best I've used but do take a little adjusting to get them right.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Incidentaly the locks on the HQ are one of the best I've used
Yes.
The locks on the Prevue cage, I have on the top of my cage and I hate it. Not secure at all but for me it isn´t as bad because it is on top. I have those turn locks like the HQ on the font of the cage and they´re great.

but do take a little adjusting to get them right.
You mean when you put the cage together? First go at doing mine it was a little off so I re-did it and it´s perfect.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
My two cents; I have the HQ Platinum for my Jenday, I think it's a great cage. It'd be great for a single budgie!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

Tessa

Moving in

Tessa

Moving in
Those are all good looking cages also...
We would loooove some pictures of your pretty bird!
upload_2019-4-27_20-1-39.png

Please excuse the poor quality of my webcam. I cropped it in attempt to spare you all of my whale pajama pants. But, here's my Birdy! June will be his fourth birthday! I believe he's a blue recessive pied, but that's just my guess.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
View attachment 302560

Please excuse the poor quality of my webcam. I cropped it in attempt to spare you all of my whale pajama pants. But, here's my Birdy! June will be his fourth birthday! I believe he's a blue recessive pied, but that's just my guess.

S/he is adorable!! Congratulations!!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here! Your baby is gorgeous!!!