• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage rearranging

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
How often do y’all rearrange your cages?

I’ve been doing it every month for Tteok, despite his lack of caring as long as his swing is still there :roflmao:

I’ve rearranged Isadora’s a bunch as I’ve added and removed toys and perches (that she’s chewed to death). So now I’m just curious what the average is, or if it’s been found that doing it (x) times per (x) months is more enriching for them.

Tteok never seems bored because he’s not much of a “play with toys” bird, and I don’t think I’ve given Isadora the opportunity to be bored yet, so I can’t really use them as examples lmao

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

I’ve been doing it every month for Tteok, despite his lack of caring as long as his swing is still there :roflmao:

I’ve rearranged Isadora’s a bunch as I’ve added and removed toys and perches (that she’s chewed to death). So now I’m just curious what the average is, or if it’s been found that doing it (x) times per (x) months is more enriching for them.

Tteok never seems bored because he’s not much of a “play with toys” bird, and I don’t think I’ve given Isadora the opportunity to be bored yet, so I can’t really use them as examples lmao
I’ve just done mine yesterday and today haha
I do it every time I buy something new :rolleyes:
Or decide I don’t like where stuff is but once a month I do a deep clean and scrub perches toys branches cage bars etc which normally means I have to cut zip ties off I spot clean daily etc

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

Can we have Pictures of Tteok cage please :heart: I don’t think you posted Isa does that long ago

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
When Walter was young, I would rotate toys or make small changes monthly but then once or twice a year I would do a total cage redo, where I would take everything out, seriously scrub it down and then put it back together in a completely different set up. As Walter aged, due to his limited mobility I would only make small changes every couple of months. Of course his favorite toy and to stay in the same place but everything else was fair game.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For my previous Conures I'd do it roughly every 3 months as a total restart except for their sleep perch or the ones that span the entire cage. Other wise maybe every week or two I'd tweak a toy here or a perch there to keep it fresh and interesting.
For Bosco since he's so heavily clipped and clumsy I keep his perches the same placement just switching them periodically if I get a new one. But toys I try to do every month,he has yet to destroy even a single one though he chips so ferociously lol. But since he doesn't come out yet I want his cage to be as fun and stimulating as possible.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I try to do a rearrange of toys and perches every one or two weeks (sometimes shorter if I find I placed a perch in a blind poop spot). I tend to reorganize a bit more since I work weekdays so I'm always worried about him being bored in his cage.

I usually try to keep all his favorites in just rearranged. I also check his toys (especially plastic ones) for wear and tear and replace or order as needed.

I try to rearrange his cage in the mornings so he has all day to explore and get used to any new placements and I've found that has worked relatively well for us. I find Pico has not been very bothered by my rearrangements so far.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Can we have Pictures of Tteok cage please :heart: I don’t think you posted Isa does that long ago
I’ll get some tonight! I actually just put them up for their mid day “nap” so I can get some chores done without Tteok trying to get into everything :roflmao:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
We recently bought a pressure washer (maybe in Oct). We have started rotating between the three parrots so each weekend one cage is sprayed down. Then we replace natural branches and edit the toy selection slightly when we replace the toys. This means about everything 3 weeks each one has a new arrangement.

However there are some features I don't change. Especially sleeping perches. If it is their little happy place to sleep I let them keep it as long as possible. And the placement stays about the same. Each parrot has their own preference there, Pi for example likes to sleep next to one of the upper feed tray doors... And I am like 90% sure it is so Neptune won't stare at him all night! Pi loves his friend parrotlets but he can get overwhelmed by them sometimes!

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m pretty sure there are no blind poop spots, just spots they’ve suddenly decided are THE BEST poop spots after you’ve put something there :roflmao:
That's... probably exactly his thought process. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt though especially when he just looks at me with his innocent face after dropping a load on a perch or new toy lol. I'm such a sucker :rolleyes:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do musical chairs with toys :lol: I will rotate toys around the area because it seems like sometimes that's all they need to get interested in a toy they didn't even look at before! So each toy makes it way around the cage or play area a few times before I swap it out and put it away for a bit (if they last that long).

I tend to do it when I see Ripley slow down with toys which is probably every 3-4 weeks.

Totally redoing the area/cage though is probably only a couple times a year.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I just spent today doing Dolly's cage now that those eggs are gone. I ditched the hut too, as she has a play hut now.
I swapped around some toys for her. Meawhile, in the kitchen, Frankie has destroyed his play hut, so I brought out his new one from Chrstmas.(they both got new huts).
Well, Dolly loves her and, of course, Frankie hates his.
I already cut his up and put it by the garbage to go our, and he just kept taking it back, so now it's gone gone.
It was becoming a safety issue as the lining was coming away from the material, so he will have to get used to his new one.
All in all not a bad day.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I move things around in my Quakers cage weekly or at least twice a month, but he hasn't gone through puberty yet so we'll see what he lets me get away with once he's an adult :cool:

My African ringneck is naked so when I change his setup around I try to keep the same spacing between perches so he's as likely to fall. He LOVES exploring so it's been a challenge and when I get it wrong I feel guilty for days!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I rotate/replace toys as needed (thank God for power tools) and ancillary perches monthly. Certain perches, like the one on the door, by the food bowls and water, and the sleeping perch are permanent.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo has her perches changed about weekly, her toys changed about a couple of times a week she has a seagrass matt that is the only thing that has never moved as she sleeps on it ( though now she mainly sleeps closer to KiKi most of the time )

KiKi i might move or change a toy once a fortnight perch changes months she doesnt like change

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
If the placement of the perches are good (nothing getting pooped on) then I usually leave them for awhile. Toys get changed around often - daily/weekly. Sometimes it takes awhile to find the 'correct' spot for a toy.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Well so much for rearranging Dolly's cage. Hubby laughed at how big her play hut is, so I have put that on her chair now, and put another new smaller one in her cage.
She likes it enough, but wants to be mummy's cling on today instead of playing with her toys.
Meanwhile, Frankie is loving his play hut with balls everywhere! :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Well so much for rearranging Dolly's cage. Hubby laughed at how big her play hut is, so I have put that on her chair now, and put another new smaller one in her cage.
She likes it enough, but wants to be mummy's cling on today instead of playing with her toys.
Aww do you have pictures :heart:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
It really depends on how often they need new toys normally its a monthly thing :strhng: