• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Questions

lippstikk

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Mandi
Everywhere I read it says 1/2” bar spacing for small conures. I have a green cheek and a roseifrons. They are best buds and I’m wanting to move them in together. I have been putting them in one of their cages for short periods and they are so happy together. Normally they just scream to get out. When they’re together they don’t even ask when I’m in the room.

I want a big enough cage that they’ve got enough room to be comfy together. My struggle is finding anything big with 1/2” bar spacing! My only other thing I’m looking for is a flip down door. I like giving them that platform. Ugh. I found one on Amazon (Cage) but that seems to be it. Does anyone have suggestions? Can I go up to 5/8”? Both my conures are small. (63 and 64 grams)

Thank you in advance for the help!!
916E2382-156F-4CD6-87DF-E2E11666D77E.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Everywhere I read it says 1/2” bar spacing for small conures. I have a green cheek and a roseifrons. They are best buds and I’m wanting to move them in together. I have been putting them in one of their cages for short periods and they are so happy together. Normally they just scream to get out. When they’re together they don’t even ask when I’m in the room.

I want a big enough cage that they’ve got enough room to be comfy together. My struggle is finding anything big with 1/2” bar spacing! My only other thing I’m looking for is a flip down door. I like giving them that platform. Ugh. I found one on Amazon (Cage) but that seems to be it. Does anyone have suggestions? Can I go up to 5/8”? Both my conures are small. (63 and 64 grams)

Thank you in advance for the help!!
View attachment 418946
Oh my gosh they are beyond precious! :heart: .does it have to be a fold down platform specifically that's part of the cage? If not what about adding flat perches to the outside of the cage?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am not sure what the issue is but your link does not work for me.

lippstikk

Real Name
Mandi
Oh my gosh they are beyond precious! :heart: .does it have to be a fold down platform specifically that's part of the cage? If not what about adding flat perches to the outside of the cage?
Thank you! I can’t get enough of them! :) that’s a good idea! In that case, I’ll take any suggestions on a really big cage :)

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I have a green cheek conure, and I just purchased a new cage with 5/8" spacing. It seems like it will be ok, and most everything that I read listed that as the max safe spacing for green cheeks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

lippstikk

Real Name
Mandi
Can anyone speak to cage bar spacing? Can I get away with 5/8" for my little GCC and Roseifrons? There are a lot more large cage options at that bar spacing. Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@webchirp has both species so could tell you confidently, but I've always been told 5/8" is safe for cheekies and cheeki sized friends.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Last edited:

lippstikk

Real Name
Mandi
I have both and right now Julip and Kari are in 1/2" but all the other birds have 5/8" bar spacing. Julip is smaller than the cheekies by just a tiny bit and has done well in the cage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CPXNKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have you seen this cage? Borneo Cage
I'd like the cage to be bigger than the one you shared from amazon. I want the two girls to have a lot of room, and ideally, I'd like the cage to have 4 easy to access cup doors for food and water (for when others watch them when I am away - my GCC is aggressive to strangers so I need easy access).

My issue with the critter cages is that they do not have a bottom grate. My birds LOVE to run around on the bottom and play with foot toys and I don't want them running through any waste from the day. I did look at the Borneo cage though. If it had a grate on the bottom, I'd go for it possibly.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thought the same the moment i saw it.
How much easier to clean and decorate would that be?? Only drawback is no feeder doors

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
How much easier to clean and decorate would that be?? Only drawback is no feeder doors
Opens wide to allow the littles to eat visitors...lol. My family is always surprised that they will actually come through the feeder doors to get them. :angelic: My little angels would never do that!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
There are also these...I had some and they are really nice but I've got a neck thing and can't do odd things like wrangle giant cages. I actually sold them at a big discount to a rescue.

lippstikk

Real Name
Mandi
There are also these...I had some and they are really nice but I've got a neck thing and can't do odd things like wrangle giant cages. I actually sold them at a big discount to a rescue.

That double cage is a dream!!!! Someday. I will have to start saving now :)