• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cage Questions

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
I know bigger is always better. I am expecting our little boy to be out of his cage as much as he likes once he's accustomed to our household. This preowned cage is available in my area for $100. It was an extra cage for the owner's bird which he still has so it hasn't had a sick bird in it. Anyone familiar with this one? What do you have for your single Caique? Please post pictures and suggestions. Baby won't be coming home until September, so I have some time to find the perfect cage!

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 4.23.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 4.23.52 PM.png

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
As long as there is no rust or flaking paint, I see no problem with a second hand cage. Just use bleach liberally, wash it off and leave to dry for 24 hours.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've read that 24 " by 24" is the minimum recommended size. (But I don't have a caique.) So that might be a tad small. Width is more important than height. Also, I think bar spacing shouldn't be more than about 3/4 an inch.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That cage should work for just one cake as long as he gets some out of cage time every day.

I know a couple of people who have this one and really like it.
corner cage.jpg

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
I've read that 24 " by 24" is the minimum recommended size. (But I don't have a caique.) So that might be a tad small. Width is more important than height. Also, I think bar spacing shouldn't be more than about 3/4 an inch.
I remember reading about the 24x24 minimum. This one is just under. I also read that for a caique, height is more important than width . . .

I've dedcided against the other one. I can buy it brand new for just $30 more. I really like this cage. If I get a smaller cage, I'll need a play stand too and this one takes care of all of that. I just done know if it will be too much of a bore to clean!
Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 8.47.31 AM.png

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I don't have either cage, but I like the style of the second one you posted! Are you getting a young caique? I would suggest not using the seed guards until the bird shows to be a good flyer/lander. I have a caique who kind of flies like a rock (she's getting better though). I don't use the seed guards on her cage, but can you imagine a clumsy bird hitting the corner of the seed guard while landing?? OUCH!

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Thanks for the seed guard tip, rfrank! Yes, our boy was born in early June. We hope to bring him home in September. I'm hoping we won't really need it. I don't like how much they stick out!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Caiques evolved to live in the treetops in the amazonian rain forest

They pick fruit seed and nuts at a high level and drop half of it down to the forest floor dwellers to eat

Still think you dont need that seed guard ?

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa

They pick fruit seed and nuts at a high level and drop half of it down to the forest floor dwellers to eat

:laugh: I know! Wishful thinking!

Kiko&Mango

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tyler
We have that exact cage for our 2. They have lots of toys and lots of room to fly/play/eat/etc. Highly recommend this cage if it's in good shape!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

I was wondering how anyone can stand it without the cage guard! Mine seems to be doing its job.

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
I finally made a cage decision! Choosing a cage is really hard. It's similar to the one I originally posted, but looks sturdier. I decided against the split level after reading up on them on the cage page. Seems most birds just spend time in the high half and ignore the smaller section! We've opted to buy an additional play stand. It's interior dimensions are 24" x 22" x 45"H (just 2" shy of recommended minimum) He will have plenty time out of his cage so I don't think it will be too small. I don't see us really using the opening top part since it will have toys attached, but I do like the drop own door. It wasn't very expensive, so it will be a good start and we can get another cage if we decide he needs something bigger.
Cage.png

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
View attachment 313605 I finally made a cage decision! Choosing a cage is really hard. In the end, I think this one will be a good start. He will have plenty time out of his cage so I don't think it will be too small. We've gotten a play stand too. I don't see us really using the opening top part since it will have toys attached, but I do like the drop own door. It wasn't very expensive, so it will be a good start and we can get another cage if we decide h
View attachment 313605