• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cage Question

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I have been birdless only 2 months in the past 40 years. Peep has been gone barely 48 hours. My apartment is barren. I NEED a bird. And since it can’t be any type of parrot it will have to be a canary or a pair of finches. I know Peep could never be replaced but I think it would help if there was a feathered soul beside my chair. I know I can use Peep’s cage (bar spacing 1/2 inch) but I’m wondering if I need a cage that is longer than higher. Peep’s cage is 14 x 18 x 38. Would a canary be happier in a flight cage, and if so how big? Suggested cages? 41D6ECCC-1694-4336-B63A-5E1AB234B6DB.jpeg

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I had no idea you could have a non-parrot - thought all future birds were a no go. A canary would be lovely!!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd definitely recommend more of a flight cage for those species. I've never had either but all the cages I've seen folks have them in seem to be longer rather than tall like that. I don't imagine they probably have the ability to climb as well as parrots?
Are these species not effected by what sweet Peep had?
I absolutely understand your apt being so empty without a bird. Even though Bosco isn't tame my heart is so much lighter sharing my life with a feathered friend again.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Maybe a bantam? They’re so little and are awesome pets!

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I'd definitely recommend more of a flight cage for those species. I've never had either but all the cages I've seen folks have them in seem to be longer rather than tall like that. I don't imagine they probably have the ability to climb as well as parrots?
Are these species not effected by what sweet Peep had?
I absolutely understand your apt being so empty without a bird. Even though Bosco isn't tame my heart is so much lighter sharing my life with a feathered friend again. There is a flight cage on sale at Petco TODAY. I’ll post a photo and see if anyone knows the brand.
Thanks. I thought so. Probably better to retire Peep’s cage anyway. I can still see him I’m my mind, climbing down the front and hanging off the side, demanding to be picked up.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. I thought so. Probably better to retire Peep’s cage anyway. I can still see him I’m my mind, climbing down the front and hanging off the side, demanding to be picked up.
I know how that feels. When Nala died I couldn't bare to look at her cage but it also hurt me to think about getting rid of it. I ended up keeping it under a sheet in my living room for months just pretending it wasn't there mocking me with its emptiness until I got Zazu. I had a lot of emotions happening as I set it up for her and woke up the next morning and saw her in there and not Nala.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My grandmother kept Banties. She had a little hen named Brownie who came in the house to sit in Grandma’s lap and be petted. And when she had to poop she’d hop down and go outside! She house trained herself!
My cousins had a pet bantam when they were little, Chickadee used to go everywhere they’d take their dogs (so to all family gatherings lol) and she would use the dog door to let herself out for pooping. I’ll never forget how awesome she was, sharing breakfast with her was one of the best things to do as a kid.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
OK. New dilemma. I think a found s suitable cage I can afford. And a cage I WANT. But can’t really afford. So I just applied for AfterPay and got accepted so I can split it into 4 payments.

$300
The A&E Cage Large Flight Cage provides your pet with a comfortable and roomy living space. This owner friendly flight cage series by A&E provides a spacious, safe and comfortable home that your feathered friend will absolutely love.

Features:

Large, bird proof front door for easy access, 1 breeder door, and feeder door locks. This cage also includes a stand

Slide-out grill and tray for easy cleaning

4 easy rolling casters for portability

Vertical bars

2 feeder stations and 2 perches

Bottom shelf for storage

Made with durable wrought-iron and baked in a non-toxic, powder-coated finish for you and your pets safety.

Includes:

Large. bird proof front door

1 breeder door

Feeder door locks

Bird cage has vertical bars

2 feeder stations and 2 perches

Slide-out grill & tray for easy cleaning

Bottom shelf for storage and 4 easy rolling casters

Color: Please choose from available colors
Environment: Indoors
Material: Wrought-iron, non-toxic powder coated finish
Dimensions: 32 in L x 21 in W x 63 in H

$80 23433329-EE1F-427B-80FE-C824539CB9D9.jpeg 23433329-EE1F-427B-80FE-C824539CB9D9.jpeg 3B109D51-1562-49CD-B4F3-BAB1F33B4F91.jpeg 3B109D51-1562-49CD-B4F3-BAB1F33B4F91.jpeg
DESCRIPTION

Prevue Pet Products Flight Cage in White SPF0610 is a great way to encourage exercise for your parakeet, finch or other small bird. Included feeder cups and perches are designed to ensure the cage interior remains spacious and attractive. A large, front opening door and removable plastic tray allows for quick and easy cleaning. Compact footprint lets you easily stack additional flight cages. Available in White only, Prevue Pet Products SPF0610 Flight Cage measures 30" Long, 18" Wide and 18" High with 3/8" wire spacing.

Features: Easily Stack Additional Flight Cages

Includes: Cage, 2 Perch, 2 Cups

Used for: Finches, Parakeet, or Other Small Birds

Color: White

Number of Doors: One

Material: Plastic, Metal

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I know how that feels. When Nala died I couldn't bare to look at her cage but it also hurt me to think about getting rid of it. I ended up keeping it under a sheet in my living room for months just pretending it wasn't there mocking me with its emptiness until I got Zazu. I had a lot of emotions happening as I set it up for her and woke up the next morning and saw her in there and not Nala.
I’ll have to dispose of Peep’s cage. It can’t ever house psittacine bird and if it’s not suitable for the finch family…
Maybe I can compromise and get a canary, soon, and use Peep’s cage while I save up for the A & E cage.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I highly recommend the large flight cage. That's what I've kept all my Greenies and now my Linnie in. And it will be easier to set up with lots of perches for flight and other goodies inside.
But the smaller one I've seen many folks use for their finches and canaries and make them lovely enjoyable habitats so I don't think you'll go wrong with either.
Those would have been the exact 2 kinds I'd have recommended :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ll have to dispose of Peep’s cage. It can’t ever house psittacine bird and if it’s not suitable for the finch family…
Maybe I can compromise and get a canary, soon, and use Peep’s cage while I save up for the A & E cage.
That does seem a good compromise and what about after you get the A & E cage maybe you could convert it into a planter or some other peice in your home so it can still remain with you if you don't plan on getting another parrot.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
That does seem a good compromise and what about after you get the A & E cage maybe you could convert it into a planter or some other peice in your home so it can still remain with you if you don't plan on getting another parrot.
Interesting idea

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I highly recommend the large flight cage. That's what I've kept all my Greenies and now my Linnie in. And it will be easier to set up with lots of perches for flight and other goodies inside.
But the smaller one I've seen many folks use for their finches and canaries and make them lovely enjoyable habitats so I don't think you'll go wrong with either.
Those would have been the exact 2 kinds I'd have recommended :)
I actually made up my mind as soon as a saw the bigger cage. My inner child said “I want THAT one”. But my parent said “You can’t afford that. You are now living on a fixed income. Stop spending money like you have it.” My adult said, “Get the bird now and house him temporarily in Peep’s cage while you save up for the nicer cage. “ All this decision making is exhausting!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I really like the burgundy cage. Looks like a true flight cage and well designed. Very similar to my first two, which are also A&E.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
use Peeps cage outdoors with plants in it, keeps wild birds off your plants and looks awesome as a garden decoration at the same time.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hi sorry for your loss they definitely leave bird sizes holes in our hearts I would definitely help you seek an owl in my work place :rolleyes:
Sorry if I am being daft (or insensitive) but why can’t you get another parrot ? Or is your heart set on a flinch or canary ?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's because the PBFD virus (circovirus) will live and be present for a year or even more. It is a very virulent virus.