• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Near Windows Concern

SmolParrot

Meeting neighbors
Due to not having much of an option, my GCC'S cage is near two large windows. He absolutely loves the spot and is less skittish than my two budgies who occupy the space without windows. Knowing the view outdoors can give any bird some anxiety, I always pull down the blinds on one of the windows to give privacy for that side of his cage.

However, winters here get cold, like sometimes -30°C cold...
Trying to account for this, I cover his cage at night with a towel and have two K and H cage warmer pads I plug-in. They are located at his two favorite spots in his cage to ensure he's warm. However, I always worry. How significant is the risk of windows? Do you think taking such precautions mitigates chances of my little guy getting sick? I am willing to move the cage but he absolutely loves his area and the other option is far more secluded and small. In a bit of a dilemma as I research more and become more paranoid

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Parrots do fine when acclimated correctly but I don't know the exact temperatures that are suitable. Covering the cage may help as well as an infrared light that is properly attached and positioned but then again, I am in a warm climate and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will turn up.