• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage mates?

Dove friends?

• Parakeet/Budgie

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nazguul

Moving in
Real Name
Brittani
greetings! I am going to be getting a ring neck dove in the next few days and i was looking for a smaller bird to get for a cage mate. Parakeet/budgies were the first thing to come to mind but i want to be sure it will be safe first. I read that parakeets might be aggressive towards the dove? Aside from having a cage big enough for both of them obviously are there any other dangers this might bring? Maybe a finch instead?

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
No I AM one. lol I wouldn't even house same sex clutch mates together even if they got along. Probably because of breeding Yorkies for 20 years and living with my sister. Lol

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Doves have different foods than most other birds. Suggest the dove be in a cage alone.

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
I personally wouldn't house things that aren't the same species together, and even then it's iffy. I don't know much about doves but from what I've heard they're very mellow, so I don't know about housing a little parrot with a dove!

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
Doves have different foods than most other birds. Suggest the dove be in a cage alone.
Funny you mentioned food. I have been wondering what people that do house different species of birds together do for food. For example I do know some people put their budgies and cockatiels in the same cage.
I was wondering what they did for food.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I don't have any experience with doves, but from my experience with Budgies I would say they would be way too active for the dove. If you are going to get a budgie I would recommend getting it a friend or two, as they are very social and really shouldn't be housed alone. I have three and they are all tame and get out of the cage time daily. They are fun to watch flight around the living room and talk back and forth.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Your best bet for a cage buddy for a dove would be either another dove or some finches. (would not recommend a lone finch) I would not recommend housing a dove with budgies unless *maybe* it was an aviary type situation.

@RitaG Budgies and cockatiels eat very similar diets in the wild... so that's not an issue. Most diets within captivity are pretty generalized as is, with some tweaks here and there for certain species...

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't think a budgie would be capable of hurting a dove (except maybe a very aggressive nesting female), but budgies are very active and busy and can sometimes pester calmer birds too much. There is also a bit of a diet difference; although they can eat many of the same foods, doves eat their seeds whole and need grit, which can be harmful to budgies. You could get around it by offering grit to the dove when you can supervise them, though.
Still, I think finches might be a better choice, or perhaps a gentler parrot like a bourkes parakeet.