• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage for 2 cockatiels

ollieboy

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I'm looking for suggestions for a budget cage (less than $200 please) for two cockatiels. I live in a tiny home, so it can't be too large, but I want it to be large enough for the both of them. I currently have them in this: Amazon.com : Yaheetech 52-inch Wrought Iron Standing Large Flight King Bird Cage for Cockatiels African Grey Quaker Amazon Sun Parakeets Green Cheek Conures Pigeons Parrot Bird Cage Birdcage with Stand : Pet Supplies

The cage itself is fine - roomy and sturdy, but the plastic tray that came with it is a flimsy piece of junk that has cracked, and there's nothing to keep it in, so one of my cats likes to pull it out to "play" with the cage liner and whatever is on it.

I'd like it to have:

1. Better locks
2. Either a metal or STURDY plastic tray, with something to lock it in place, if possible.
3. Sturdy cage
4. No more than 3' wide or 18" deep. (There is only one place in the house it can go and if it's any deeper than that, we'll be running into it as we enter the kitchen)
5. No more than $200 - I know this is tough, but I'm not in a good spot financially at the moment

I'm also open to just buying a new tray, but the manufacturer doesn't sell replacement trays, and I'm running into dead end after dead end trying to find a suitable replacement (and I'd rather not have to keep replacing the tray every few months)

Help please!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Have you thought about just replacing the tray? If it works well then I don’t see a reason to replace the entire cage.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomegroup:

This cage is under 200, has great locks, is sturdy, and is a decent size: Cage

If you're willing to spend a little more, this cage provides a little more space: Cage

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Hello! I'm looking for suggestions for a budget cage (less than $200 please) for two cockatiels. I live in a tiny home, so it can't be too large, but I want it to be large enough for the both of them. I currently have them in this: Amazon.com : Yaheetech 52-inch Wrought Iron Standing Large Flight King Bird Cage for Cockatiels African Grey Quaker Amazon Sun Parakeets Green Cheek Conures Pigeons Parrot Bird Cage Birdcage with Stand : Pet Supplies
I have this cage and I find the plastic tray is very flimsy, the cage is hard to close, and it would be tight for two cocktiels.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I apparently missed your whole last paragraph :facepalm:

If not that specific manufacturer, have you tried calling others to see if they have anything that fits the same measurements?

I did find this one - On Chewy

And this one as well - Also on Chewy

ollieboy

I have this cage and I find the plastic tray is very flimsy, the cage is hard to close, and it would be tight for two cocktiels.
Yes, I have this one already, and I'm not fond of the doors, and the tray is the main reason I'm looking to replace it - however, I find the size is fine for mine, but they are very close and want to be near each other all the time - also, once things settle down, they will get quite a bit of out of cage time. So the size is good for my needs, it's really just the tray that isn't.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I had to add some trays to my cage as they no longer made trays for it (they no longer make the cage either) so I ended up taking the measurements and the looking at dog crate trays. I ended up using two dog trays which fit tightly but perfectly. They are much sturdier than my original tray (which is actually pretty sturdy as it is more than 25 years old)

ollieboy

I had to add some trays to my cage as they no longer made trays for it (they no longer make the cage either) so I ended up taking the measurements and the looking at dog crate trays. I ended up using two dog trays which fit tightly but perfectly. They are much sturdier than my original tray (which is actually pretty sturdy as it is more than 25 years old)
I'll look into this solution some more - I did already, but didn't find anything (however, my search was limited to amazon, so maybe I'll do some more research)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I think this one is a little too small for 2 cockatiels
Honestly they all are :huh: but with the measurements given, finding anything with an 18” depth makes everything overall a little tight