• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CAGE COCKATOO SETUP OR MACAW SETUP

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, after consideration I think it would be better to get a macaw

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Or are there any other conure friendly bigger parrots you can recommend

Aves

That's not applicable because conure beak+bigger beak= close supervision and possible fights.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah of course, I meant health wise and if there were bigger birds that would be fine with being in a cage close to the conure of having them both out at the same time on different play stands under supervision

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Have you considered mini-macaws. They are real macaws in a much smaller package. Red Fronts are a medium sized macaw as are Illigers.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah but I’ve heard that they’re really hit or miss

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You really need to make up your own mind instead of relying on what you have heard. A macaw is a macaw. What do you mean about hit or miss. Hys aren't a lot different than Severe's and you don't get a guarantee with any parrot.

Does your conure scream at a high pitched screech constantly? That is the common reputation they have.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry, I don’t mind the noise because of my conure, I’m just a little apprehensive regarding mini macaws because I’ve never interacted with them and I have not seen them on sale or in shelters anywhere near me

Aves

You should check out the good bad and ugly for mini macaws

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup overall they seem very similar to regular macaws and conures

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
So, I have a conure and a macaw. My large macaw is FAR from how most large macaw are described. I've met a lot of really fun mini macs; they're not that different than bigger macs but their bites break fewer fingers. I have a very docile macaw; he's never hurt anyone but I would NEVER trust him alone with my conure. Sam used to be picked on by a blue and gold macaw daily, she bit him bloody the day he came home to me. Even birds of the same size can pick on each other. He's never been aggressive but, macs don't even need to be being aggressive to hurt a smaller bird.

Why the large bird if I may ask?

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tbh I’m not very big on a bigger bird but I thought that a macaw would fit what I wanted but personally I might be overall inclined to bigger birds, I’m sorry if I’m confusing or annoying but I just wanna make sure that I choose the right buddy

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Tbh I’m not very big on a bigger bird but I thought that a macaw would fit what I wanted but personally I might be overall inclined to bigger birds, I’m sorry if I’m confusing or annoying but I just wanna make sure that I choose the right buddy
I would hold off and do more research on all types of birds then. Please don't think if you get a bigger bird theyre going to be able to cohab with your conure.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
How long have you had your conure? It's alright :) I just happen to have the two bird types in question so I thought that I might have some input.
So you want a bigger bird, why? You say you might be inclined towards them and I'm just curious why. Having two VERY different sized birds is not always easy. You have to do separate time out of cages, and hopefully your conure doesn't get jealous of the macaw and try to attack them.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
How long have you had your conure? It's alright :) I just happen to have the two bird types in question so I thought that I might have some input.
So you want a bigger bird, why? You say you might be inclined towards them and I'm just curious why. Having two VERY different sized birds is not always easy. You have to do separate time out of cages, and hopefully your conure doesn't get jealous of the macaw and try to attack them.
I can confirm its very difficult to have different sized birds as I have from a lovebird to a macaw.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I have everything from budgie to large macaw. I would not let out my macaws at the same time in the same space that the little birds are out; in fact they live in completely separate sides of the house and never see each other.

I also have two severe macaws. They’re unfortunately very common in rescues where I live and that’s how I got my two. Fred, the older one, is very traumatized from his life before rescue and he bluff bites at me all day long.But I have not once been bitten by him. That’s saying something because I’m always in his space cleaning out the aviary or changing toys around etc. My other severe Ethel is sweet and only wants fresh food, love and flight time. Neither severe macaw I have perfectly fits the stereotype. As others have said it’s best if you gain some experience around a variety of species and see what picks you or what you’re drawn to. I didn’t even know about severe macaws when I walked into the rescue the day I met Fred but here we are.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had my conure for about 7-8 months now, but i've always loved and wanted parrots and am fairly well versed in their care, btw i will definitly look into other species, Thanks all of you for your help!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've had my conure for about 7-8 months now, but i've always loved and wanted parrots and am fairly well versed in their care, btw i will definitly look into other species, Thanks all of you for your help!
You have not even had this bird for one whole season. So you do not even fully know this bird. It takes about 2 years to fully understand and know “your” bird. Never mind bringing in another completely different species.

So you may think you’re well versed in parrot care but you are still in the starting blocks. The nature of your posts speak loudly to that.

I understand your eagerness. There is no rush.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I'd suggest enjoying the time with your conure, they're still a parrot. I waited four years before I got a second bird. The time you get with your first bird is very important, or at least I thought it was for Sam and I. You get to really "know" each other, and you learn together.

I do have to say, I think it has helped Sam that he has Tibs for company but they are not bonded. I had my macaw first and I couldn't afford a second macaw, with either time or space and given Sam is special needs, I worried that another macaw would pick on him.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely I agree I will wait till at least a few years, regardless thank you all for your help :smuggrin: