• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage cleaning safety

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Hello All,

I need so advice about the safest way to clean my lovebirds cage. I have read that many of you use water and vinegar, what ratios do you mix? How do you clean the wooden perches, actaully I have wood, rope and some textured perches?

One of the tricky things for me is that my bird does not trust me yet (got her last that a week ago) and I don't have a way to remove her from the cage because I am not forcing her to do anything she does not want to do and she has only left that cage on her own twice. I am trying to figure out a way to safely clean the cage without causing stress and also using safe cleaning methods/ products. Thoughts? Thank you all in advanced!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I use F10, mixed 1ml to 500ml of water. I put it in a spray bottle for easier use. Just spray and wipe, no need to rinse it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Get your cleaning stuff ready then open her cage. Once she is out, get the cleaning done. I do Aldoras cage like this and I have a hard time when eggs are about, but I just have to do my best, wait for her to leave and then go nuts trying to clean it all before she comes back. I leave her millet sprigs to snack on and paper to shred on the playstand, that buys me a few minutes.

How do you clean the wooden perches, actaully I have wood, rope and some textured perches?
Wiping down with a cloth for daily maintanence.
About once a fortnight, I take the cage to the bathroom and clean the whole thing in the shower ( I have a big open shower thingy so lot´s of space to clean cages in there). Using a scrubby brush and fairy, then a vinegar rinse, then rinsed well with water.

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Once she is out, get the cleaning done.
I’m not sure when the next time she will leave on her own, she’s only really fully left once. I will try to keep giving her opportunities.
About once a fortnight,
OK, got it. I will have to prey she comes out and then yes. How much vinegar with how much water? I’m going to order the F10 but I have vinegar on hand currently :)

Thanks!!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I’m not sure when the next time she will leave on her own, she’s only really fully left once. I will try to keep giving her opportunities.

OK, got it. I will have to prey she comes out and then yes. How much vinegar with how much water? I’m going to order the F10 but I have vinegar on hand currently :)

Thanks!!
I use 50/50 water vinegar ratio but you can probably use whatever ratio you like as long as it’s not so weak it’s basically water.