• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage cleaner

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
I found this on Amazon and it says it’s bird safe, so you guys think I can use it? Makes me a little nervous. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
wow . . . Now that's a bunch of marketing fluff!!!

"Plant based" always annoys me. Turpentine is "plant based". Cyanide is "plant based". Not going to be washing my silverware in either, nor my birdcage :p

Also a point of concern, is "remove everything" in the instructions, followed by "return when air dried". Sure a good idea, so you can get in and do a good deep clean . . . but are they concerned the bird would be harmed from the fresh spray in the air?

Looking at that list, the only thing they're being clear about is "Water". All of the remaining ingredients could be benign or lethal to birds, depending on what they are. That being said, marketed to birds so . . . *probably* safe, maybe?

Can't say it isn't safe, but I'm feeling your nerves.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
wow . . . Now that's a bunch of marketing fluff!!!

"Plant based" always annoys me. Turpentine is "plant based". Cyanide is "plant based". Not going to be washing my silverware in either, nor my birdcage :p

Also a point of concern, is "remove everything" in the instructions, followed by "return when air dried". Sure a good idea, so you can get in and do a good deep clean . . . but are they concerned the bird would be harmed from the fresh spray in the air?

Looking at that list, the only thing they're being clear about is "Water". All of the remaining ingredients could be benign or lethal to birds, depending on what they are. That being said, marketed to birds so . . . *probably* safe, maybe?

Can't say it isn't safe, but I'm feeling your nerves.
My thoughts exactly!! I saw plant based and was like “what??” Seriously how many deadly poisons and drugs are plants? thank you for your reply!!

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
I heard oxyfresh crate cleaner is good. Also regular water with dawn liquid soap. Just make sure everything is thoroughly rinsed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I mean, if you look at the labels for anything, they can look scary. I'm most interested to know what "fragrance" is. The rest looks pretty benign.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
The fragrance thing freaks me out also bacterial cultures WT????
Plain and simple is the way to go, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Dawn to a quart of warm to hot water, in spray bottle. Remove bird, all food dishes, perches, toys etc etc. Put cage on old shower curtain liner or a bunch old towels, spray down top to bottom, wait 2 minutes scrub with either tooth brush or stiff bristled brush on grubby areas. In another quart bottle 2 teaspoons of distilled white vinegar to 1 quart hot water. Spray top to bottom wipe down with clean microfiber towel. Dry well put stuff back and the bird too. Easy Peasy lemon squeezey.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
It is astonishing how little information is in that ingredient list, and I personally wouldn't use it on that basis alone. "Fragrance"??? "Preservative"???? I suppose this is a start-up that wants to keep things proprietary, but why even include an ingredient list if you aren't going to provide any information!

I use 1:1 diluted vinegar, personally. It is often mentioned that vinegar isn't a good disinfectant, but that's really an overstatement. I use F10 when I'm really worried about cross-contamination (new cage, quarantined bird's bowls, non-porous toy from a pet store with birds in store).

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
I mean, if you look at the labels for anything, they can look scary. I'm most interested to know what "fragrance" is. The rest looks pretty benign.
Yeah makes sense me too. Thanks!

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
It is astonishing how little information is in that ingredient list, and I personally wouldn't use it on that basis alone. "Fragrance"??? "Preservative"???? I suppose this is a start-up that wants to keep things proprietary, but why even include an ingredient list if you aren't going to provide any information!

I use 1:1 diluted vinegar, personally. It is often mentioned that vinegar isn't a good disinfectant, but that's really an overstatement. I use F10 when I'm really worried about cross-contamination (new cage, quarantined bird's bowls, non-porous toy from a pet store with birds in store).
Ah I see yeah I’ll have to try that!

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
The fragrance thing freaks me out also bacterial cultures WT????
Plain and simple is the way to go, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Dawn to a quart of warm to hot water, in spray bottle. Remove bird, all food dishes, perches, toys etc etc. Put cage on old shower curtain liner or a bunch old towels, spray down top to bottom, wait 2 minutes scrub with either tooth brush or stiff bristled brush on grubby areas. In another quart bottle 2 teaspoons of distilled white vinegar to 1 quart hot water. Spray top to bottom wipe down with clean microfiber towel. Dry well put stuff back and the bird too. Easy Peasy lemon squeezey.
Ok yeah hats makes sense thanks!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Beneficial bacterial cultures is just a different way to say enzymatic cleaning agents. Same thing aviclean and Nature's miracle have been using for years. They just want to call it something different to make their product seem different than the competition.