• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage cleaner that's safe to use with birds in cage?

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I used to use aviclean for cleaning poop off grates and perches without needing to remove the birds, but unfortunately it's not available anymore.

There's several other brands on the market it looks like, I'm just not sure which would be best? What do you all use?

I use poopoff too, but it doesn't seem to work as well as aviclean did.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I simply use a mix of white vinegar, dish washing liquid and water.

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I use vinegar on a lot of things, but I stopped using it on anything metal e.g. cage bars and grates as vinegar can cause it to rust :( Great for dishes and such though - I use it on their water bowls all the time!

I don't use soap very much, maybe if I'm doing a full clean, but if I just need to get a little poop off something the sprays are amazing since you don't need to rinse it!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Vinegar can actually be used to either speed up rusting OR remove rust from metals depending on the metal and how you use the vinegar- simply cleaning with it the way I do (diluted and then removed) is not going to rust a cage. I do not leave the vinegar and dish liquid on the metal, I use it to clean then wipe it all off with a clean damp cloth. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Wow that's cool, I didn't know vinegar could remove rust!

No problem! This actually reminded me I should probably use soap more often when I do a deep clean.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I use f10, a very safe veterinarian disinfectant. It has very little smell and is not corrosive. It doesn’t burn skin at all.