• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Bound flighted cockatiel came out of the cage for the first time, help?

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I’m currently babysitting an old male cockatiel for my grandparents (I also own my own younger female cockatiel.)
This guy has been cage bound probably for as long as he can remember. Sadly, he lives in a cage too small for him and he only eats seeds, (I’ve told my grandparents about proper bird care, but they haven’t really changed much)
Anyway, I decided for the week that I have him I’m gonna try to get him less scared of everything. He’s really terrified of hands (probably because when he was young my uncle threw things at his cage and scared him, yeah I know right.) And hates almost everyone. He doesn’t mind me though and likes when I talk to him.
I opened the cage door and left some treats out of him, and after two hours he ventured outside his cage. First he flew h(probably for the first time in years) and landed in my closet. I just sat there and talked to him and calmed him down until he flew up to my art desk (where I do art lol). I put down some seed for him and then brought out my other bird (maybe to show him I’m nice with birds? Btw they don’t really care about each other anyway)

anyways, my questions are
1) should I continue to let him out, and how can I make his time outside of the cage a least stressful it can be while also being fun,
2) could I work with his fear of hands
3) how do I get him back in his cage later? Since he would not let me pick him up like ever

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That’s great that you are trying to help him overcome his fears, and I think you should keep at it. If you can put a perch outside his cage door, that will help him to get in and out. If you don’t feed him much (maybe just an occasional treat for rewarding him) he should go back when he’s hungry. It might take hours, so give yourself plenty of time. Show him a big millet spray or something he loves, and put it in his cage to entice him back in. Never force him to do anything or you will loose all the trust that you gain. I would read aloud to him while he is out, or do your art while talking to him. He will relax more if you are not focused on him. Put out some of his favorite toys, or a have a playstand he can use. I think he’s going to be happy with you as a friend, and I hope you can continue your relationship in the future.

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
That’s great that you are trying to help him overcome his fears, and I think you should keep at it. If you can put a perch outside his cage door, that will help him to get in and out. If you don’t feed him much (maybe just an occasional treat for rewarding him) he should go back when he’s hungry. It might take hours, so give yourself plenty of time. Show him a big millet spray or something he loves, and put it in his cage to entice him back in. Never force him to do anything or you will loose all the trust that you gain. I would read aloud to him while he is out, or do your art while talking to him. He will relax more if you are not focused on him. Put out some of his favorite toys, or a have a playstand he can use. I think he’s going to be happy with you as a friend, and I hope you can continue your relationship in the future.
Thanks so much. Currently he has flown to a corner of my room where it’s kind of difficult to get him out from. He has however accepted a seed block thing While I was holding it, which honestly is a great step for him. I’m really proud of him. I’m gonna keep on trying to help him overcome his fears for the week that he’s at my place, and I’ll try to continue even when he goes back to my grandparents house.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’ll try to continue even when he goes back to my grandparents house.
Would trying to convince them to let you keep him be a possibility?
You could tell them he enjoys being with your ´tiel...

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Eqiine, just be careful when letting him out. Since he has never been let out before I seriously doubt that your grandparents have bird-proofed any of the rooms. Are they aware that you are letting him come out? I am with Zara above, I hope your grandparents allow you to have him- he would become a changed bird and for the better. :)

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
Eqiine, just be careful when letting him out. Since he has never been let out before I seriously doubt that your grandparents have bird-proofed any of the rooms. Are they aware that you are letting him come out? I am with Zara above, I hope your grandparents allow you to have him- he would become a changed bird and for the better. :)
He is actually at my home, and my room is fine the for them come out in (apart from a gap in my room where I don’t really want them to go)

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
Would trying to convince them to let you keep him be a possibility?
You could tell them he enjoys being with your ´tiel...
I was actually thinking about what would happen if I could take him in, but I just don’t know if they would want me to. Although, if the opportunity were to occur where I could take him in I would gladly do so.