• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage bar spacing

Camsan

Meeting neighbors
I am new here and I am sure this gets asked a lot but I am undecided on exactly which bird I will be getting. Right now I am debating between an Eclectus and macaw. Yes I know a big difference :). I am pretty open at the moment. We use to have an umbrella cockatoo and African grey about 15 years ago. I was hospitalized for an extended period of time and we had to rehome them to family members. We are ready to add another feathered friend to our family and while I’m still undecided I wanted to get a cage so I would be ready when the right bird popped up.
i work from home and my partner is retired so we are home much of the time but the times we go out of town for a few days or am away for the day etc I want to make sure they have plenty of room to roam and spread their wings.

this is the cage I am thinking about but I worry it may be too much spacing between the bars for an Eclectus or bird of similar size. I am leaning more towards a larger species but thought I would ask for some feedback as the cage is a great price right now
here is a link the cage I am looking at, it has 1.37 bar spacing so roughly 1 3/8

Thank you for your feedback and look forward to getting back into the bird world!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I hope we can welcome you to the world of macaws. I'm prejudiced. And please adopt a mature bird,no matter what you decide on.

That cage is a good size although you can't tell what it's quality is by a picture.

Camsan

Meeting neighbors
I’d love a mature bird but I am struggling trying to find a rescue anywhere near me in eastern nc. I have found quite a few youngins’ though. I’m am leaning towards a macaw .

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is the link for Phoenix Landing Rescue in NC. I've never heard a valid bad word about this organization.

They list many more adoptables on Pet Finder

Camsan

Meeting neighbors
Thanks! They are about a 6 hour drive so not too bad, I am glad to see something in nc. I will certainly keep them in mind, hoping this cage will also be ok for a smaller species in the event I go that route. The 1 3/8 bar spacing worries me a tad for a smaller species like an Eclectus but I’m thinking it will be ok. Definitely ok for a macaw.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As you might expect, my vote is for a macaw - even more specifically a Greenwing macaw - LOL.

Are you aware of the specialized diet for Eclectus?

Camsan

Meeting neighbors
As you might expect, my vote is for a macaw - even more specifically a Greenwing macaw - LOL.

Are you aware of the specialized diet for Eclectus?
Yes a friend of mine has an eclectus and I am aware of their longer digestive tract. I am leaning towards a macaw and looking at a young Camelot but I am also aware they are 2/3 scarlet but I was thinking and hoping getting them young would help with the bond. Right now his disposition is very sweet and cuddly however I am very aware that s subject to change 10 times before Sunday . there Is also a young buff Wing I am looking at
I know they can All be noisy and that is a worry of mine however I’m not worried about the actual noise as much as I am the frequency of the noise. I would like to be able to have conf calls with work when needed....lol I work from home so the bird will be out the majority of the day On and off, as I want to really try and set a schedule to prepare them for days I may be out of town etc where their time out won’t be as much if any for that day or multiple days. Those times are few and far between but I do have occasions where I will have to be out of town. About once a month for 2 days at a time. my Partner will be home and will feed etc but not sure time out will be as frequent as when I am home.