• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Aggression

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Thank you John. I try so hard to make sure they have a wonderful large bird-friendly room, plenty of good varied foods, hours of attention, etc. Sergei is the sweetest bird ever, and Lucy is a little devil! I need to get her in line before I lose a finger or toe!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very good read! I hope to have Java cage free one day. He's not cage aggressive, he's just fearful of EVERYTHING, but this could be his nature as Vasas are known for having a very strong flight response. Still, one step at a time!
I wonder if he would enjoy being cage free, since he seems to want his cage whenever he's away from it.
Do you think it would be a good idea/ safe for him to live cage free? He still hasn't learned how to fly, at least not properly.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Very good read! I hope to have Java cage free one day. He's not cage aggressive, he's just fearful of EVERYTHING, but this could be his nature as Vasas are known for having a very strong flight response. Still, one step at a time!
I wonder if he would enjoy being cage free, since he seems to want his cage whenever he's away from it.
Do you think it would be a good idea/ safe for him to live cage free? He still hasn't learned how to fly, at least not properly.

No. Because Java's cage is his crutch/safe place.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I dream of the day I own my own house and each fid can have their own huge indoor aviary...and maybe a small flock to share it with :angel1:

Screenshot_20181003-104152.jpg

(Okay maybe not quite THAT big but you catch my drift :lol:)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Alright John, I read that article and a couple more besides. I'm going to put what I learned into action. Lucy attacks both Sergei and myself, so I'm not going to let her see me holding him. That way she won't think I'm stealing her man, and won't assume Sergei is cheating on her. I've removed all her snuggly toys she cuddled up to. I will wear boots every time I enter their room and never react when she chomps my feet. I'm not going to put my hands in her cage for any reason while she's inside it. I will always give her treats or food before Sergei. I will let her approach me instead of me walking up to her (respecting her space). I am hoping these efforts will help trigger a change in her. Fingers crossed!!!
Ekkies are a quite a different species from other parrots. I don't have personal experience with them but from what I do know about their wild nature is that females spend most of their time in a tree hollow being courted, wooed and fed by a number of male suitors None really more special than the others. The female cycle is also a long one and has been known to last up to 9 months (We can make that better or worse the way we handle them). They can be just as nasty as a male cockatoo.

I don't know what it is about feet but lots of species seem to have a fetish about them. I wear boots. :)

The bird room is their claimed territory obviously. You're the intruder. She appears to be quite hormonal. A bird that bites is a hot potato. Handle accordingly.

If you have not read this, please do.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I had to give Lucy back 1 of her cuddle toys. She's been sitting on the floor of her cage (door is open as usual) in a corner shivering (it's 72' in there) and what I'm assuming is crying. Ooow, ooow, ooow over and over. I gave her toy back and now she's acting normal again. We have their regular 3 month appt at the vet tomorrow any way, so I'm going to ask her what's going on. She hardly touched her meals today either. Ugh!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Took Lucy to the vet. She's lost weight! The vet gave her a Luperon shot to calm her hormones and should also ease her aggressive behavior. So hopefully she'll be back to her normal self soon. I have to take her back in a month for another checkup and get a blood test to ensure she's not in a constant state of ovulation.

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
This was brilliant!

Covers much on the side of aggressive behaviors John!

I never close the door and have considered myself going without a cage as years ago we seen this best but I needed too see if chuckee was destructive and she is not.

If she even touched the walls I simply say no baby girl and she stops.

You know birds brother, good stuff.

One love